JHU Child Safety Policy: Procedures for Johns Hopkins School of Public Health & School of Nursing
Who is Required to Complete this Process?
Any affiliated JHSPH/SON programs/ groups that work with youth under the age of 18 years old in any capacity and for any length of time. All affiliated programs/ groups must complete the process below to be in compliance with the University policy.
What Is the Process?
1. Registration: Must be completed by the primary contact(s) for the affiliated JHSPH/ SON program/ group; do NOT let individual adults/mentors or youth/ children complete the group form)
· Affiliated JHSPH/ SON Program/ Group Registration click here.
· Adult/ Mentor Registration click here. Note: Parents/ guardians do not need to be included in this registration.
· Youth/ Child Registration click here. Note: For youth programs/ activities taking place at partner organization sites, youth/ children do not need to complete this registration.
2. Training: All adults/ mentors who work with youth/ children in any capacity and for any length of time must complete this on-line training. Parents/ guardians do not have to complete this training. Print or email completion certificate to email@example.com or fax (410) 502-2736.
· Go to this Website and follow these instructions: (a) For “location”, insert either JHSPH Youth Programs or SON Youth Programs and (b) for “ID” insert your program/ group name (e.g., Anna Baetjer Society, Child Health Society, School of Nursing Student Governing Association, etc). Please spell out your student group/program name. Do NOT use acronyms.
3. Screening: All adults/ mentors (18 years and older) have to have a criminal background check completed prior to interacting with youth/ children (younger than 18 years old). SON students may count their criminal background check results to fulfill this requirement so long as it has been conducted within the past five years and you can provide proof that there were no adverse records found. To obtain your SON background check, visit http://www.precheck.com/students. Once you've accessed the site, select option #2 ("click here to check the status"), then input your information and the background check will be brought up.
JHSPH groups and non-Hopkins affiliated adults/ mentors must complete a background check or provide proof of one within the last year with no adverse records. To obtain a background check through SOURCE, click here to complete the correct forms.
Proof of background checks should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax (410) 502-2736. Any cost incurred for the background check is the responsibility of the individual.
4. Parental Consent: Parent(s)/ Guardian(s) must provide their consent in order for their youth/ child to be involved in your program. Here is a template you can use. For parents/ guardians who are already affiliated with a partner organization, there is no need to complete this step. If you have already obtained a parental consent form, you may use that in place of the template provided. If you are planning a field trip off campus, you must also complete this form for each trip.
5. Adult/ Mentor Code of Conduct: All adult(s)/ mentor(s) (anyone 18 years of age and older) must complete this form. It provides specific reporting procedures you must follow if you have reason to believe a youth/ child (under 18 years old) has been subject to abuse or neglect. You are encouraged to keep a copy for your records to reference when appropriate. Email a signed copy of the Code of Conduct to email@example.com or fax to (410) 502-2736.
- Registration: Program, All Adults, All Youth/Children (as required only) [on-line form]
- Verification of Training for All Adults [email verification to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (410) 502-2736]
- Proof of Criminal Background Check with No Adverse Records for All Adults [email verification to email@example.com or fax to (410) 502-2736]
- Parental Consent for Each Youth/Child (as required only) [email verification to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (410) 502-2736]
- Signed Code of Conduct for All Adults [email verification to email@example.com or fax to (410) 502-2736]
Note: Depending on the work of your program/ group and interaction with youth, additional requirements may be needed, including but not limited to fingerprinting, which is required for persons who are employed to work in covered programs. If you are receiving a paycheck for the work that you are doing with youth, this policy pertains to you. These generally include persons who care for, supervise, work with or otherwise have access to or contact with youth/ children through these programs. See Section II.B. of the Policy on the Safety of Children in University Programs.
What is the Approval Process?
Once the registration is completed for affiliated JHSPH/ SON programs/ groups, adults/ mentors and youth/ children, all adults/ mentors are trained, screened and have signed the Code of Conduct and parental consent is received for each youth/ child, SOURCE will verify all documentation.
What is the Renewal Process?
At least once a year (generally in the fall), programs must re-complete this process. Also, if primary contacts change during the course of a year, your program/ group must notify SOURCE at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (410) 955-3880 so SOURCE can update all relevant forms.