SOURCE Service-Learning Faculty Fellows Program
About the SOURCE Service-Learning Faculty Fellows Program:
SOURCE Service-Learning Faculty Fellows Program is engaging up to 9 faculty members from across the Johns Hopkins University Schools of Medicine, Nursing, and Public Health for a one-year term as they become part of a JHU community of faculty who use service-learning pedagogy. Funding for this program is provided by JHU President Daniels’ office.
“Service-learning is a structured learning experience that combines community service with preparation and reflection. Students engaged in service-learning provide community service in response to community-identified concerns and learn about the context in which service is provided, the connection between their service and their academic coursework, and their roles as citizens.” Seifer S.D. (1998). Service-learning: Community-campus partnerships for health professions education. Academic Medicine, 73(3): 273-277.
More information on service-learning in the health professions can be found at:
Community-Campus Partnerships for Health, www.ccph.info
FFP Program Goals:
• Assist faculty as they create new or transform existing courses to incorporate service-learning as the pedagogy used.
• Create and expand the network of service-learning faculty who engage in service-learning pedagogy and research.
• Increase the number of experiential learning courses for students in the Schools of Medicine, Nursing and Public Health. Some of these JHSPH courses may also fulfill CEPH practicum requirements.
• Strengthen the connection between the Johns Hopkins University health professional schools and SOURCE community partners in Baltimore City.
• Ultimately, contribute to improving the health—defined broadly—of Baltimore residents.
Listen to the SOURCE Faculty Fellows Program Webinar
On February 19, 2013, SOURCE hosted an informational webinar about the FFP. In conjuncture with current FFP-ers Roni Neff and Emily Frosch, we discussed how service-learning is a useful pedagogy in the health professions, the experiences of FFP-ers, and the support SOURCE provides to the faculty and courses. Listen to the recording here: https://connect.johnshopkins.edu/p1hiwxfjzxc.
FFP Blog Post: JHSPH Center for Teaching and Learning
The FFP Pedagogy was featured in the March 7th blog post for the JHSPH Center for Teaching and Learning. Read the post here!
SOURCE Faculty Fellows Program Frequently Asked Questions
Interested in FFP but have some questions? Check out our FAQs!
2012-2013 Faculty Fellows Courses
The 2012-13 Inaugural FFP Cohort has been hard at work throughout this academic year creating and revising syllabi to incorporate academically rigorous service-learning courses in the Johns Hopkins Schools of Medicine, Nursing and Public Health. Find out what they have been up to!
Recruitment for the 2014-2015 cohort of Faculty Fellows will be announced in early 2014.