Public Health Applications for Student Experience (PHASE)
PHASE is a non-paid, for-credit internship program.
PHASE is sponsored in partnership with the Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DHMH) and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
PHASE offers opportunities for Bloomberg School public health graduate students to apply academic knowledge and theory in real-world professional practice settings. The primary goal of PHASE is to enrich Bloomberg School academic degree programs with hands-on public health practice experience.
Key Components of the PHASE Internship
- A public health practice experience involving average of 6-8 hours/week spent at the hosting agency) over 3 academic terms.
- Attendance at the PHASE orientation lunch.
- Attendance at check-in meetings once a term with PHASE course faculty.
- Submission of PHASE Student Monthly Update Reports on the 15th of each month.
- An internship agreement form to be completed with the preceptor.
- A concept paper outlining goals and intent of project.
- A final paper highlighting the student's experience, results, and lessons learned.
- A 15-minute oral presentation of the student's experience at the mandatory final PHASE symposium at DHMH. Symposium attendance includes course faculty, preceptors and other interested public health practitioners and academicians.
Important Assignments and Deadlines for 2016-2017
|Assignment||% of Grade|
|Internship Agreement Form||5%||November 14, 2016|
|Concept Paper||15%||November 30, 2016|
|Monthly Update Report||5%||15th of every month|
|PHASE Check-in Meetings||5%||Varies - see next table|
|Final Paper||25%||May 8, 2017|
|Oral Presentation at PHASE Symposium||15%||May 12, 2017|
|Student Evaluation of Program||5%||May 12, 2017|
|Student Performance Evaluation (completed by preceptor/Course Faculty)||25%||May 15, 2017|
|Orientation Lunch||November 3, 2016|
|Check-in Term 2||December 7, 2016|
|Check-in Term 3||February 22, 2017|
|Check-in Term 4||April 12, 2017|
*Required to attend all meetings. Additional meetings may be scheduled as needed.
Review the Course Syllabus:
- Review the 2016-2017 syllabus here. Please contact Paulani Mui (email@example.com) with any questions regarding course content.
Review Frequently Asked Questions
14th Annual DHMH PHASE Symposium: From Theory to Practice
Date: Friday, May 12th, 2017
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. (9:00 a.m. registration, 9:15 a.m. welcome remarks from Dr. Howard Haft, DHMH, and Dr. Joshua Sharfstein, JHSPH)
Location: Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, 201 W. Preston Street (State Street Metro Stop), Conference Room L-3, Baltimore MD 21201
Open to the public!
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next round of PHASE Internship applications will be open in September 2017.
For more information, please contact Paulani Mui at email@example.com.