Public Health Applications for Student Experience (PHASE)
PHASE is a non-paid, for-credit internship program.
PHASE is sponsored in partnership with the Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DHMH), the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Mid-Atlantic Public Health Training Center (MAPHTC).
PHASE offers opportunities for Bloomberg School public health graduate students to apply academic knowledge and theory in real-world professional practice settings. The primary goal of PHASE is to enrich Bloomberg School academic degree programs with hands-on public health practice experience.
This year's PHASE Symposium will be on Friday, May 9, 2014 from 8:45 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. at the Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DHMH). Welcome remarks will be made by Laura Herrera, MD, Deputy Secretary for Public Health Services, Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH) and Thomas A. Burke, MPH, PhD, Associate Dean for Public Health Practice & Training, JHSPH.
Friday May 9, 2014
8:45 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
201 W. Preston Street (State Street Metro Stop)
Conference Room L-3
Baltimore MD 21201
Light lunch will be served
**Open to the public. Please bring a government-issued ID for access into the building**
Key Components of the PHASE Internship
- A public health practice experience involving average of 6-8 hours/week spent at the hosting agency) over 2-3 academic terms.
- Attendance at the PHASE orientation lunch.
- Attendance at check-in meetings once a term with PHASE course faculty.
- Submission of PHASE Student Monthly Update Reports on the 15th of each month.
- An internship agreement form to be completed with the preceptor.
- A concept paper outlining goals and intent of project.
- A final paper highlighting the student's experience, results, and lessons learned.
- A 15-minute oral presentation of the student's experience at the mandatory final PHASE symposium at DHMH. Symposium attendance includes course faculty, preceptors and other interested public health practitioners and academicians.
Important Assignments and Deadlines
|Assignment||% of Grade||Deadlines|
|Round 1||Round 2|
|Internship Agreement Form||5%||November 8, 2013||January 31, 2014|
|Concept Paper||15%||November 25, 2013||February 17, 2014|
|Monthly Update Report||5%||15th of every month||15th of every month|
|PHASE Check-in Meetings||5%||Varies - see next table||Varies - see next table|
|Final Paper / Oral Presentation PPT||25%||March 14, 2014 (ending 3rd term), May 5, 2014 (ending 4th term)||May 5, 2014|
|PHASE Symposium at DHMH||25%||May 9, 2014||May 9, 2014|
|Student Performance Evaluation (completed by preceptor/Course Faculty)||20%||March 31, 2014 (ending 3rd term), May 16, 2014 (ending 4th term)||May 16, 2014|
|Meetings*||Round 1||Round 2|
|Orientation Lunch||October 30, 2013||January 22, 2014|
|Check-in Term 2||December 4, 2013||--|
|Check-in Term 3||February 26, 2014||February 26, 2014|
|Check-in Term 4||April 16, 2014||April 16, 2014|
*Required to attend meetings for the terms enrolled in PHASE. Additional meetings may be scheduled as needed.