Public Health Applications for Student Experience (PHASE)
PHASE is a non-paid, for-credit internship program.
PHASE is sponsored in partnership with the Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DHMH), the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Mid-Atlantic Public Health Training Center (MAPHTC).
PHASE offers opportunities for Bloomberg School public health graduate students to apply academic knowledge and theory in real-world professional practice settings. The primary goal of PHASE is to enrich Bloomberg School academic degree programs with hands-on public health practice experience.
Key Components of the PHASE Internship
- A public health practice experience involving average of 6-8 hours/week spent at the hosting agency) over 2-3 academic terms.
- Attendance at the PHASE orientation lunch.
- Attendance at check-in meetings once a term with PHASE course faculty.
- Submission of PHASE Student Monthly Update Reports on the 15th of each month.
- An internship agreement form to be completed with the preceptor.
- A concept paper outlining goals and intent of project.
- A final paper highlighting the student's experience, results, and lessons learned.
- A 15-minute oral presentation of the student's experience at the mandatory final PHASE symposium at DHMH. Symposium attendance includes course faculty, preceptors and other interested public health practitioners and academicians.
Important Assignments and Deadlines for 2014-2015
|Assignment||% of Grade||Deadlines|
|Round 1||Round 2|
|Internship Agreement Form||5%||November 7, 2014||January 30, 2015|
|Concept Paper||15%||November 24, 2014||February 16, 2015|
|Monthly Update Report||5%||15th of every month||15th of every month|
|PHASE Check-in Meetings||5%||Varies - see next table||Varies - see next table|
|Final Paper||25%||March 13, 2015 (ending 3rd term), May 4, 2015 (ending 4th term)||May 4, 2015|
|Oral Presentation at PHASE Symposium||20%||May 8, 2014||May 8, 2015|
|Student Evaluation of Program||5%||May 11, 2015||May 11, 2015|
|Student Performance Evaluation (completed by preceptor/Course Faculty)||20%||March 30, 2015 (ending 3rd term), May 11, 2015 (ending 4th term)||May 11, 2015|
|Meetings*||Round 1||Round 2|
|Orientation Lunch||October 29, 2014||January 21, 2015|
|Check-in Term 2||December 3, 2014||--|
|Check-in Term 3||February 25, 2015||February 25, 2015|
|Check-in Term 4||April 15, 2015||April 15, 2015|
*Required to attend meetings for the terms enrolled in PHASE. Additional meetings may be scheduled as needed.
Review the Course Syllabus (2014-2015):
Review Frequently Asked Questions
12th Annual DHMH PHASE Symposium: From Theory to Practice
Date: Friday May 8, 2015
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (8:30 a.m. registration, 8:45 a.m. welcome remarks from Dr. Laura Herrera Scott and Dr. Joshua Sharfstein)
Location: Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, 201 W. Preston Street (State Street Metro Stop), Conference Room L-3, Baltimore MD 21201
Open to the public!
Questions? Contact email@example.com
The next round of PHASE Internship applications will be open around September 2015.
For more information, please contact Jennifer Le at firstname.lastname@example.org.