Submitting a New PHIRST Application
- Secure a Principal Investigator. In order to start work on a research application, you must have a full-time faculty member who agrees to serve as Principal Investigator (PI) and will be responsible for your project. Both the student and the PI should review the IRB guidance called, “What am I agreeing to do when I become Principal Investigator on a JHSPH IRB protocol?”
- The PI starts PHIRST application. The faculty member must start the application process in PHIRST, identifying him- or herself as having the “PI role.” The PI will select a role for you as a “student investigator.”
- You complete human subjects research training through CITI. It takes about an hour and can be completed anywhere, any time. Instructions are in the CITI FAQs.
- You register in PHIRST. Register in PHIRST, our electronic application system. Contact the PHIRST helpdesk if you need assistance.
- You and the PI collaborate on the research application - but only the faculty member may submit it.