1. WHO 2012 guide for Research Ethics Committees:
“Standards and Operational Guidance for Ethics Review of Health – Related Research with Human Participants.” This document provides advice on setting standards for RECs, and providing a common language for describing specific outcomes or characteristics. You may find this resource here: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241502948_eng.pdf.
2. WHO Ethical Standards and Procedures for Research with Human Beings (Including CIOMS, UNAIDS, European bodies) (general site): http://www.who.int/ethics/research/en/
· International Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research involving Human Subjects (CIOMS 2002): http://www.fhi.org/training/fr/retc/pdf_files/cioms.pdf
· International Ethical Guidelines for Epidemiological Research (CIOMS 2008): http://www.ufrgs.br/bioetica/cioms2008.pdf
3. Implementation: Capacity Building through the Strategic Initiative for Developing Capacity in Ethical Review (SIDCER): http://www.who.int/sidcer/about/en/
· What is SIDCER? Supports implementing the WHO Operational Guidelines for IRB/RECs around the world, and assessing those operational standards. Accredits RECs.
Network of Regional Partner Fora:
· Forum for Ethics Committees in the Confederation of Independent States (FECCIS)
· Forum for Ethical Review Committees in Asia and the Western Pacific (FERCAP)
· Foro Latino Americano de Comités de Ética en Investigacion en Salud (FLACEIS)
· Pan-African Bioethics Initiative (PABIN)
4. “Reviewing Clinical Trials: A Guide for the Ethics Committee”: http://media.pfizer.com/files/research/research_clinical_trials/ethics_committee_guide.pdf. Sponsored by Pfizer, an AAHRPP accredited pharmaceutical company, through a “non-binding” grant. Edited by Johann P.E. Karlberg (Clinical Trials Centre, Univ. of Hong Kong) and Marjorie Speers of AAHRPP.
5. Setting Standards for Responsible Conduct of Research:
InterAcademy Council Report, "Responsible Conduct in The Global Research Enterprise."
6. Ethics Training
Ethics Training for Researchers and Community Members:
Family Health International (FHI): http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/Training/trainmat/ethicscurr/index.htm
NIH Office of Extramural Research: Protecting Human Research Participants, online module: http://phrp.nihtraining.com/users/login.php
CITI Training: www.citiprogram.org
JHSPH Field Training Guide for Data Collectors: http://www.jhsph.edu/irb/Training.html
Ethics Training for IRB Members (for fee)
PRIM&R online: http://www.primr.org/Conferences.aspx?id=8937 (for fee)
SOPs for IRBs
Huron Group Consulting: http://www.huronconsultinggroup.com/researchdetails.aspx?articleId=1506