Resumes and Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Missed the RESUME webinar? Listen to it here.
Jan. 28, 2014 - Resume Writing Workshop (slides)
What is the purpose of a resume/CV?
The purpose of a resume/CV is TO GET AN INTERVIEW! An employer will select applicants on the basis of how well their skills match up with the job requirements. Sometimes, the difference between getting an interview and being placed in the “no” pile is a well put-together resume/CV.
Top two things to remember about resumes/CVs
1. RELEVANCY – how relevant is the information about yourself to the position you are applying for?
2. CLARITY – how clearly can you present this information to the audience reading your resume/CV?
- Lean toward brevity
- Have more than one version
- Strong emphasis on content & action verbs
- Goal of a resume is to…
construct a professional identity
SAMPLE RESUMES from Career Planner
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Lean toward completeness
- Exposé of work life; a “living document”
- Continuous catalog
- Less emphasis on content & action verbs
- Goal of a curriculum vitae is to…
construct a scholarly identity
Sample CV from Career Planner
Feb. 6, 2013 - Discover a Career & Federal Resume Workshop