Networking can mean different things for different people, but mainly networking is simply talking and listening to people and at the same time developing relationships around common interests and experiences. Or put more simply, networking is how you met your friends, selected your classes, chose your concentration, or decided where to go for lunch/dinner. Why network? Because networking is the most effective means for getting a job. It is important to know that only 15% of available jobs are advertised through online resources, newspapers, and trade journals. That means that the other 85% are found by being in the right place at the right time or through word of mouth. So, the saying “It’s not what you know, but who you know!” takes on new meaning. The theory behind networking is relatively simple, but to get results, it takes work.
- Career Services Workshop: Networking for New Professionals (Sept. 16, 2013)
- Networking (from 2013-14 Career Planner)
- Career Services Workshop: How to Network in a Digital Age (Spring 2013)
- How to Find a Job Using LinkedIn
- JHSPH LinkedIn Group
- JHSPH Society of Alumni LinkedIn Group
- Johns Hopkins Connect (JHU Alumni database)