Skip Navigation

Giving

FAQs

What are some of the School’s most urgent needs?

Student scholarships. We urgently need to increase the number of scholarships we can offer to attract the most outstanding students to study here. Although 76 percent of our students received scholarships last year, we lost 30 percent of worthy applicants to peer schools because we were not able to offer scholarships of sufficient value.

Faculty support. We need to increase the funding we have available to support the recruitment and retention of our world-class faculty, and to support their innovative research and the translation of discovery into policy.

Field experience. We need to help students and faculty with the costs of traveling and gaining experience in the field around the world, and with support for dissertation research. Students can apply for up to $2,000 each to help cover the cost of international or domestic travel to field projects, enabling them to have extremely rewarding and enriching field experiences that may not otherwise be available to them.

I have a gift amount in mind. How might my gift be used?

Your gift can be used to provide students with scholarship support and faculty with money for innovative research. You may also direct your gift to support specific funds and projects, such as the School’s response to terrorism, work in cancer prevention, efforts to eradicate malaria, support for refugee health and disaster relief, and future discoveries to prevent emerging and recurring infectious diseases.

Johns Hopkins appears to be a wealthy university. Will my gift really make a difference?

Private gifts are more essential than ever in this uncertain funding environment. The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health endowment supports just 2.8 percent of the School's annual expenditures. Thus, regular annual gifts of any amount are crucial in helping the School meet the other 97.2 percent of its annual funding needs. Since the School is working to improve the health of people around the world, even the smallest gift can make a significant difference in the lives of those served by the School’s research and outreach. For example, a dose of vitamin A, costing 4 cents, can save the life of a child. In the longer term, we are working to increase the level of the School’s endowment.

What are the tax benefits of making a gift to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health?

Every gift to Johns Hopkins University, including those to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, is tax deductible. However you choose to make your gift, the University mails a receipt to you for your tax records. For planned gifts, such as bequests, trusts and other gifts providing an income, contact the JHU Office of Gift Planning to learn more about additional estate and tax benefits.

What are the different ways I can pay for my gift to the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health?

Credit card gifts may be made today through our secure online site or by calling 410-955-5194.

Checks may be made out to Johns Hopkins University and mailed to:

Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Office of External Affairs—Development
615 N. Wolfe Street, E2132
Baltimore, MD 21205
United States of America

How much control do I have over how my gift will be used?

The online giving form offers several giving options for all gifts. You may choose where to direct your gift, according to the following options:

In addition, if you wish to support a specific fund, department, center or institute, you may provide its name in the form's Comments section.

For additional questions about designating your gift, please email us or call us at 410-955-5194.

How can I update my address?

To update any of your information, including changes of address, name or marital status, please contact us by email or mail us a letter addressed to::

Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Office of External Affairs—Development
615 N. Wolfe Street, E2132
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
United States of America

If you have any additional questions, please contact us, or make your gift online.