Jean B. Nachega, MD
- Associate Professor - Adjunct
- Epidemiology (Affiliated)
- Division: Global Disease Epidemiology and Control
Center & Institute Affiliations
PhD, University of Cape Town, 2008
MPH, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 1999
MD, University of Louvain Medical School, 1989
I am an Infectious Diseases Internist trained in Epidemiology, Health Economics, Tropical Public Health & Medicine. My research, teaching, and professional activities include planning, design, monitoring, and evaluation of clinical trials, cohort studies & programs for prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS & Tuberculosis.
Honors and Awards
1) Member Elect, Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society , Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA, May 2009; 2) John McGoldrick Senior Fellowship Award, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA, March 2009; 3) Member Elect, The Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAF) 2008;4) Author (2nd) of a JAMA article nominated for the Lancet 2006 Article of the Year; 5) US National Institutes of Health/NIAID, Mentored-Patient Oriented Research Career Development Award (K23), March 2006; 6) Johns Hopkins Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) & National Institutes of Health (NIH), Pilot Grant Award, 2002; 7) Johns Hopkins University, School of Public Health Recognition Award, MPH Class of 1999; 8) Stelios M. Stelson Award, Johns Hopkins University, School of Public Health, MPH Class of 1999; 9) Dikembe Mutombo's African Education Award, Dikembe Mutombo Foundation, Atlanta, GA, 1998; 10) B.S. 1985, Magna Cum Laude & M.D. 1989, Cum Laude.
- International Health, HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, Sub-Saharan Africa
1. NACHEGA JB, CHAISSON RE, GOLIATH R, EFRON A, CHAUDHARY MA, RAM M, MORRONI C, SCHOEMAN H, KNOWLTON AR, MAARTENS G. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Trained Patient-Nominated Treatment Supporters Providing Partial Directly Observed Antiretroviral Therapy. AIDS 2010, June 1; 24(9):1273-1280
2. NACHEGA JB, LEISEGANG R, BISHAI D, NGUYEN H, HISLOP M, CLEARY S, REGENSBERG L, MAARTENS G. Association of Antiretroviral Therapy Adherence and Health Care Costs. Ann Intern Med. 2010 Jan 5;152(1):18-25.
3. NACHEGA JB, MILLS EJ, SCHECHTER M. Antiretroviral Therapy Adherence and Retention in Middle and Low-Income Countries: Status of Knowledge and Research Priorities. Curr Opin HIV/AIDS. 2010 Jan;5(1):70-7.
4. FORD N, NACHEGA JB, ENGEL ME, MILLS EJ. Directly Observed Antiretroviral Therapy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials. The Lancet. 2009 Nov 30.
5. NACHEGA JB, HISLOP M, NGUYEN H, DOWDY DW, CHAISSON RE, REGENSBERG L, COTTON M, and MAARTENS G. Antiretroviral Treatment Adherence, Virologic and Immunologic Outcomes in Adolescents Compared With Adults in Southern Africa. J of Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009 May;51(1):65-71.