John McGready, PhD
- Associate Scientist
- Biostatistics (Primary)
Center & Institute Affiliations
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2008
ScM, Harvard School of Public Health, 1996
Since joining the faculty at Hopkins, Dr. McGready has split his time between research collaborations and statistical education. He is the primary instructor for “Statistical Reasoning in Public Health I and II" taught both on campus, and on line, and an instructor for “Statistical Methods in Public Health III " . He is the co-creator and instructor of intensive data analysis workshops offered in the School's Summer Institute of Epidemiology and Biostatistics.Dr. McGready is also actively involved collaborative research. His efforts include/have included collaborations with Department of Health Policy and Management at Johns Hopkins, the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Anne Arundel County Medical Center, Greater Baltimore Medical Center, and Johns Hopkins Healthcare.Dr. McGready's research interests include:
- statistical education
- small sample properties of both classical and computer driven methods of estimation and inference
applications of advanced semi-parametric smoothing techniques to anthropomorphic data
- exploring unanswered questions from first principles of statistics
- rectifying differences in interpretation and estimates between mixed effects and GEE approaches to analyzing longitudinal data
In 2001, 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016, Dr. McGready was awarded a Golden Apple Award for excellence in teaching by the on-site student body. In 2001 and 2005 he received the Teaching Award for Excellence in Distance Education, as voted upon by distance education students. In 2010 he received the ASPH/Pfizer Early Career Award for Teaching Excellence, and the Outstanding Teacher Award given by the Teaching Statistics in Health Sciences section of the American Statistical Association.Prior to coming to Hopkins, Dr. McGready served as a quantitative policy analyst, focusing on criminal justice policy in the United States (federal and state levels). Previously, Dr. McGready also taught high-school-level math in Washington, D.C., and worked as a health care data analyst for Healthcare Investment Analysts (now HCIA/Sachs).
Honors and Awards
2016 Golden Apple Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2012 Golden Apple Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2010 ASPH/Pfizer Early Career Award for Teaching Excellence
2010 Outstanding Teacher Award given by the Teaching Statistics in Health Sciences section of the American Statistical Association
2008 Golden Apple Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
2006 Best Contributed Paper, Joint Statistical Meetings 2006, Section on Teaching Statistics in the Health Sciences
2005 Excellence in Online Education Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Division of Distance Education.
2004 Golden Apple Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
2001 Golden Apple Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
2001 Excellence in Online Education Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Division of Distance Education.
2000 Teaching Assistant Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health.
1996 Teaching Assistant of the Year, Harvard School of Public Health.
1995 Teaching Fellow, Harvard School of Public Health.
1994 Graduate Fellowship, National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Disease.
- Statistical Education
- Statistical Consulting
- Statistical Methods
- Statistical Literacy
Thank you for your interest: here are some highlights from my publication record.
- Mammen J, McGready J , Oxman R, Chia C, Ladenson PW, and.Simonsick E. Thyroid hormone therapy and risk of thyrotoxicosis in community-resident older adults: Findings from the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. Thyroid. (2015) Sep: 25(9):979-986
- Gibbs KD Jr, McGready J, Bennett JC, Griffin K (2014) Biomedical Science Ph.D. Career Interest Patterns by Race/Ethnicity and Gender. PLoS ONE 9(12):e114736. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0114736
- McGready J, Brookmeyer R. Evaluation of Student Outcomes in Online vs. Campus Biostatistics Education in a Graduate School of Public Health. Preventive Medicine 2013 56 (2): 142-122.
- Lee R, McGready J, Conley S,. Yanjanin N, Nowaczyk M, and Porter F. Growth Charts for Individuals with Smith-Lemli-Opitz Syndrome. American Journal of Medical Genetics: Part A (2012)
- Murphy S, McGready, J, Griswold, M, and Sylvia, M. A Method for Estimating Cost Savings for Population Health Management Programs. Health Services Research. 2012. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2012.01457.x