Chris Beyrer, MD
- Director, Johns Hopkins Training Program in HIV Epidemiology and Prevention Science
- Director, Johns Hopkins Center for Public Health & Human Rights
- Co-PI, Johns Hopkins Center for AIDS Research (JHU CFAR)
- Associate Director, Center for Global Health
- Division: Infectious Disease Epidemiology
- Health, Behavior and Society (Joint)
- International Health (Joint)
Center & Institute Affiliations
- AIDS Research, Center for
- Global Health, Center for
- Public Health and Human Rights, Center for
- Vaccine Initiative, Johns Hopkins
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
MD, SUNY Health Sciences Center at Brooklyn, 1988
MPH, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 1991
HIV/AIDS preventive interventions, including HIV vaccine clinical trials and preparedness studies. Epidemiology and molecular epidemiology of HIV. Substance use and narcotics reaserch. Public health and human rights.
Honors and Awards
Elected, Institute of Medicine, 2014. President, International AIDS Society (IAS), 2014-16. 2000, Delta Omega Honorary Public Health Society, Alpha Chapter, Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore; Recipient, 1999 Charlotte Silverman Fund Award for Epidemiology and Policy, Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health; Nominee, 1999, for the First Jonathan Mann Prize in Health and Human Rights; Winner, 1988 Lowell E. Bellin Award for Excellence in Preventive Medicine and Community Health. S.U.N.Y Health Sciences Center at Brooklyn; Recipient, Dr. Michael Kenny International Fellowship Fund Grant for study in India, 1987; Elected, Alpha Omega Alpha, S.U.N.Y. Health Sciences Center at Brooklyn, 1987; Elected, Phi Beta Kappa, Hobart and Wm. Smith Colleges, 1980.
- HIV/AIDS, molecular epidemiology, human rights, China, Burma, Russia, Thailand, Kazakhstan, HIV vaccines
Baral S, Trapence G, Motimedi F, Umar E, Iipinge S, Dausab F, Beyrer C. HIV prevalence, risks for HIV infection, and human rights among men who have sex with men (MSM) in Malawi, Namibia, and Botswana. PLoS ONE. 2009;4(3):e4997. Epub 2009 Mar 26.
Teela KC, Mullany LC, Lee CI, Poh E, Paw P, Masenior N, Maung C, Beyrer C, Lee TJ. Community-based delivery of maternal care in conflict-affected areas of eastern Burma: perspectives from lay maternal health workers. Soc Sci Med. 2009 Apr;68(7):1332-40. Epub 2009 Feb 18.
Beyrer C. Hidden yet happening: the epidemics of sexually transmitted infections and HIV among men who have sex with men in developing countries. Sex Transm Infect. 2008 June;84(6):410-2.
Beyrer C, Lee TJ. Responding to infectious diseases in Burma and her border regions. Confl. Health. 2008 Mar 14;2(1):2.
Saavedra J, Izazola-Licea JA, Beyrer C. Sex between men in the context of HIV: The AIDS 2008 Jonathan Mann Memorial Lecture in health and human rights. J Int AIDS Soc. 2008 Dec 24;11(1):9.
- Center for Public Health and Human Rights
- Continuum of Care Innovations for GMT in Burma/Myanmar
- High Risk Men: Identity, Health Risks, and Stigma
- HIV Investment Case Development
- IAS Presidency Support
- Johns Hopkins HIV Epidemiology and Prevention Sciences Training Program
- Training in HIV-related Non-communicable Disease Complications in Malawi