Alain Koffi, MD
- Assistant Scientist
Center & Institute Affiliations
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
MD, University of Cocody, 2002
PhD, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 2009
Through his professional experience and educational background work, Dr. Alain Koffi has gained an excellent grounding of cross-cutting methodological approach in implementing household surveys in developing countries. Currently, he is working closely with the brightest minds in the field of child health epidemiology to provide improved global estimates of the causes and determinants of maternal, neonatal (0-27 days old) and child (1-59 months old) morbidity and mortality. This involve two activities involve gathering new verbal autopsy (VA) and social autopsy (SA) data to directly measure neonatal and child mortality and its determinants in high priority countries.
Honors and Awards
2010-2011 Postdoctoral Fellowship: The Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2004-2009 Scholarship: Japanese Government for PhD Studies at Tokyo Medical and Dental University
2004 Extraordinary efforts in response to the public health emergencies affecting Liberian refugees destined for the USA by Center for Disease Control and Prevention
2002 Research Grant Award: France Embassy in Côte d'Ivoire
- Social Autopsy
- Verbal Autopsy
- Neonatal deaths
- Child deaths
- Continuum of care
- Maternal and child health
Most recent publications
- Alain K. Koffi, Paul–Roger Libite, Seidou Moluh, Romain Wounang, Henry D. Kalter. Social autopsy study identifies determinants of neonatal mortality in Doume, Nguelemendouka and Abong–Mbang health districts, Eastern Region of Cameroon. JOGH 2015; 5: 010413
- Henry D. Kalter, Abdoulaye–Mamadou Roubanatou, Alain Koffi, Robert E. Black. Direct estimates of national neonatal and child cause–specific mortality proportions in Niger by expert algorithm and physician–coded analysis of verbal autopsy interviews.JOGH 2015; 5: 010415.
- Alain K. Koffi, Visseho D. Adjiwanou, Stan Becker, Funmilola Olaolorun, Amy O. Tsui. Correlates of and couples’ concordance in reports of recent sexual and contraceptive-use behaviour. Studies in Family Planning, Volume 43, Issue 1, pages 33–42, March 2012.
- Kalter HD, Salgado R, Babille M, Koffi AK, Black RE. Social autopsy for maternal and child deaths: a comprehensive literature review to examine the concept and the development of the method. Population Health Metrics, 2011; 9:45.