Colleen L. Barry, PhD
Associate Professor, Associate Chair for Research and Practice
Center & Institute Affiliation(s):
- Gun Policy and Research, Johns Hopkins Center for
- Injury Research and Policy, Johns Hopkins Center for
624 N. Broadway
Hampton House 403
Baltimore , Maryland 21205
PhD , Harvard University , 2004
MPP , Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of Government , 1999
Colleen L. Barry, Ph.D., M.P.P. is an Associate Professor and Associate Chair for Research and Practice in the Department of Health Policy and Management at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Professor Barry conducts policy analysis and political communication research with a focus on vulnerable populations and often-stigmatized health conditions including mental illness, substance use and obesity. Much of her current research involves examining the implications of various aspects of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) on persons with mental illness or substance use disorders. She has also led studies examining public opinion and political persuasion in the context of childhood obesity, mental illness and gun policy. She teaches courses in health policy and in public opinion research. Professor Barry received her Ph.D. in health policy from Harvard University and her masters degree in public policy from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard.
Honors and Awards
National Institute of Mental Health Doctoral Training Grant (T32)
Health Care Policy, Political Analysis, Mental Health, Addiction, Childhood Obesity, Health Care Reform
- Epstein AJ, Busch SB, Busch A, Asch DA, Barry CL. Do Conflict of Interest Policies in Psychiatry Residency Affect Antidepressant Prescribing? Medical Care, In Press.
- Barry CL, Niederdeppe J, Gollust SE. Framing the Debate over Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Taxes: Results from a 2011 National Public Opinion Survey. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, In Press.
- Busch SH, Meara EM, Huskamp HA, Barry CL. Characteristics of Adults with Substance Use Disorders Expected to be Income-Eligible for Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act. Psychiatric Services, In Press.
- Busch AB, Yoon F, Barry CL, Azzone V, Normand, ST, Goldman HH, Huskamp HA. Effects of Mental Health Parity on Spending and Utilization for Bipolar, Mayor Depression, and Adjustment Disorders. American Journal of Psychiatry. In Press.
- Barry CL, Gollust SE, Niederdeppe J (2012). Are Americans Ready to Solve the Weight of the Nation? New England Journal of Medicine, 367(5): 389-391.