William Checkley, MD
- Medical Director, Johns Hopkins Medicine International
- Assistant Professor
- School of Medicine (Primary)
- Division: Global Disease Epidemiology and Control
- Biostatistics (Joint)
Center & Institute Affiliations
1800 Orleans Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
MD, Northwestern University, 2003
PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2002
ScM, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 1996
My research interests include the Epidemiology of obstructive lung diseases in children and adults; studies of lung function and physiology; studies of the interactions between nutrition and infection; and, Critical Care Epidemiology, specifically studies of Acute Lung Injury.
Honors and Awards
1998 Pre-doctoral National Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health.
1998 First Place in Applied Research, Annual Delta Omega Honors Society Scientific Competition, The Johns Hopkins University
1999 Best poster presentation in Epidemiology, VIII Congress of Public Health, National Institute of Public Health, Cuernavaca, Mexico.
2001 First Place in Applied Research and Grand Prize, Annual Delta Omega Honors Society Scientific Competition, The Johns Hopkins University.
2002 Delta Omega Honors Society, Alpha Chapter, The Johns Hopkins University.
2007 Post-doctoral National Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health.
2007 ATS fellow career development award.
2009 Clinician Scientist Award, The Johns Hopkins University.
2009 Pathway to Independence Career Award, National Institutes of Health.
15 selected publications:
1. Caravedo MA, Painschab MS, Davila-Roman VG, De Ferrari A, Gilman RH, Vasquez-Villar AD, Pollard SL, Miranda JJ, Checkley W;CRONICAS Cohort Study Group. Am Heart J 2014; in press.
2. Klasen E, Miranda J, Khatry S, Menya D, Gilman RH, Tielsch JM, Kennedy C, Dreibelbis R, Naithani N, Kimaiyo S, Chiang M, Carter EJ, Sherman CB, Breysse PN, Checkley W. Feasibility intervention trial of two types of improved cookstoves in three resource-limited settings: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2013; 14:327.
3. Pollard SL, Williams DA, Breysse PN, Baron PA, Grajeda LM, Gilman RH, Miranda JJ, Checkley W.A cross-sectional study of determinants of indoor environmental exposures in households with and without chronic exposure to biomass fuel smoke. Environ Health 2014;13(1):21.
4. Painschab MS, Davila-Roman VG, Gilman RH, Vasquez-Villar AD, Pollard SL, Wise RA, Miranda JJ, Checkley W; CRONICAS Cohort Study Group. Chronic exposure to biomass fuel is associated with increased carotid artery intima-media thickness and a higher prevalence of atherosclerotic plaque. Heart 2013;99:984-91.
5. Checkley W, Robinson CL, Baumann LM, Romero K, Combe JM, Gilman RH, Wise RA, Hamilton RG, Gonzalvez G, Cama V, Hansel NN; PURA study investigators. Effect of urbanization on the relation of total serum immunoglobulin E to asthma. Eur Respir J in press 2012.
6. McCracken JP, Wellenius GA, Bloomfield GS, Brook RD, Tolunay ES, Dockery DW, Rabadan-Diehl C, Checkley W, Rajagopalan S. Household Air Pollution from Solid Fuel Use: Evidence for Links to CVD. Global Heart 2012; 7: 223-234
7. Diette GB, Accinelli R, Balmes J, Buist AS, Checkley W, Garbe P, Hansel NN, Kapil V, Gordon SB, Lagat D, Yip F, Mortimer K, Perez-Padilla R, Roth C, Schwaninger, Punturieri A, Kiley J. Obstructive Lung Disease And Exposure To Burning Biomass Fuel In The Indoor Environment. Global Heart 2012; 7: 265.
8. Robinson CL, Baumann LM, Gilman RH, Romero K, Combe JM, Gomez A, Cabrera L, Gonzalvez G, Hansel NN, Wise RA, Breysse PN, Barnes K, Hernandez JE, Checkley W. Effects of varying degrees of urbanization on asthma, allergy and airways inflammation in a developing country setting. Thorax 2011;66:1051-7.
9. Baumann LM, Robinson CL, Combe JM, Gomez A, Romero R, Gilman RH, Cabrera L, Hansel NN, Wise RA, Breysse PN, Barnes K, Hernandez JE, Checkley W. Effects of distance from a heavily transited avenue on asthma and atopy in a peri-urban shanty-town in Lima, Peru. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011,127:875-82.
10. Checkley W, West KP, Wise RA, Wu L, LeClerq SC, Khatry S, Katz J, Christian P, Tielsch JM, Sommer A. Supplementation with vitamin A early in life and subsequent risk of asthma. Eur Respir J 2011;38:1310-9.
11. Checkley W, West KP Jr, Wise RA, Baldwin MR, Wu L, LeClerq SC, Christian P, Katz J, Tielsch JM, Khatry S, Sommer A. Effects of maternal vitamin A supplementation on lung function in preadolescent offspring: A follow-up study of a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial cohort in rural Nepal. N Engl J Med 2010;362:1784-94.
12. Dasenbrook EC, Checkley W, Merlo CA, Konstan MW, Lechtzin N, Boyle MP. Association between respiratory tract methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and survival in cystic fibrosis. JAMA 2010;303:2386-92.
13. Checkley W, Gilman RH, Black RE, Epstein LD, Cabrera L, Sterling CR, Moulton LH. Effects of water and sanitation on childhood health in a poor Peruvian peri-urban community. Lancet 2004; 363:112-118.
14. Checkley W, Epstein LD, Gilman RH, Figueroa D, Cama RI, Patz J, Black RE. Effects of El Niño phenomenon and ambient temperature on hospital admissions for diarrheal diseases in Peruvian children. Lancet 2000; 355: 442-450.
15. Madico G, Gilman RH, Checkley W, Cabrera L, Kohlstadt I, Kacena K, Diaz J, Black RE. Community infection ratio as an indicator for tuberculosis control. Lancet 1995; 345: 416-419.