- Affiliation Type:
- Global Disease Epidemiology and Control
Center and Institute Affiliations
W5009 Suite B
Research and Professional Experience
My research interests include the Epidemiology of obstructive lung diseases in children and adults; studies of lung function and physiology; studies of the interactions between nutrition and infection; and, Critical Care Epidemiology, specifically studies of Acute Lung Injury.
Honors and Awards
1998 Pre-doctoral National Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health.
1998 First Place in Applied Research, Annual Delta Omega Honors Society Scientific Competition, The Johns Hopkins University
1999 Best poster presentation in Epidemiology, VIII Congress of Public Health, National Institute of Public Health, Cuernavaca, Mexico.
2001 First Place in Applied Research and Grand Prize, Annual Delta Omega Honors Society Scientific Competition, The Johns Hopkins University.
2002 Delta Omega Honors Society, Alpha Chapter, The Johns Hopkins University.
2007 Post-doctoral National Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health.
2007 ATS fellow career development award.
2009 Clinician Scientist Award, The Johns Hopkins University.
2009 Pathway to Independence Career Award, National Institutes of Health.
15 selected publications:
1. Checkley W, West KP Jr, Wise RA, Baldwin MR, Wu L, LeClerq SC, Christian P, Katz J, Tielsch JM, Khatry S, Sommer A. Maternal Vitamin A Supplementation and Lung Function in Offspring. N Eng J Med 2010; 362:1784-94.
2. Dasenbrook EC, Checkley W, Merlo CA, Konstan MW, Lechtzin N, Boyle MP. Association Between Respiratory Tract Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Survival in Cystic Fibrosis. J Am Med Assoc 2010; 303: 2386-92.
3. Checkley W, Brower R, Muñoz A; for the ARDS Network. Inference for mutually exclusive competing events through a mixture of generalized gamma distributions. Epidemiology 2010; 21: 557-65.
4. Lee G, Cama V, Gilman RH, Cabrera L, Saito M, Checkley W; CONTENT investigators. Comparison of two types...