Henry Mosley, MD
- Professor - Emeritus
615 N. Wolfe St.
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
(410) 955 7956
(410) 955 0792
MD, University of Oklahoma
MPH, Johns Hopkins University
Currently the focus of my effort has been conducting Strategic Leadership Seminars in developing countries. Working in collaboration with Ben Lozare, Director of Training at CCP, we have developed the curriculum and the STARGuide computer software for the Seminar in Strategic Leadership and for Health System Transformation in Developing Countries.
In the years 1998-2012 we have conducted 9 international Leadership Seminars in Baltimore, national Seminars in Philippines, China, India, Pakistan, Nepal, Indonesia, Turkey, Uganda, Ethiopia, Ghana, Nigeria, Peru and a regional Seminar for five Central American Countries in Nicaragua. We now have Chinese and Indonesian and Spanish versions of the STARGuide seminar materials. Ten universities in 8 developing countries have now incorporated this leadership training into their academic programs. I am engaged in a collaborative research project assessing the outcomes of a leadership program in China.
Honors and Awards
Phi Beta Kappa - Rhodes College, 1955
Alpha Omega Alpha - University of Oklahoma School of Medicine, 1958
United States Public Health Service Meritorious Service Medal, 1970
Delta Omega - Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, 1965
Advising, Mentoring and Teaching Recognition Award - Johns Hopkins Student Assembly, 1996 and 2002
Golden Apple Award - Johns Hopkins Student Assembly, 1997
Ernest L. Stebbins Award - Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, 2000
Carl Taylor Lifetime Achievement Award - International Health Section of the American Public Health Association, 2011
- Population and Family Health Sciences, population change, OpenCourseWare, health policy, demographic and epidemiological change, developing countries, health transition, disease control priorities, strategic leadership, reproductive health, child survival, family planning, international health, distance education
Swanson, C, Mosley, H, Sanders, D, Egilman, D, De Maeseneer, J, Chowdhury, M, Lanata, CF, Dearden, K, Bryant, M. Call for global health-systems impact assessments. Lancet 2009;374(9688):433-5. 2009
Rahman, MH, Mosley, WH, Ahmed, S and Akhter, H. Does service accessibility reduce socioeconomic differentials in maternity care seeking? Evidence from Rural Bangladesh. J. Biosocial Science 40: 19 – 33, 2008.
Ahmed, S, and Mosley, WH. Joint determination of use of contraceptives and maternal and child health interventions in six developing countries. Demography 39 (1); 75-93, 2002
Reed H, Koblinski M, and Mosley WH,(eds). The Consequences of Maternal Morbidity and Maternal Mortality. Report of a Workshop, National Research Council, Washington, DC, National Academy Press, 2000
Jamison DT, Mosley WH. Disease control priorities in developing countries: health policy responses to epidemiological change. Chapter in WC Cockerham (ed) The Sociology of Medicine, The International Library of Critical Writings in Sociology Series, Aldershot, UK;Brookfield, VT: Edward Elgar Publishing Limited, 1995.
- Institutionalization of Strategic Leadership Development in the Faculty of Public Health, University of Indonesia
- Leadership Training and Quality of Family Planning Management and Services
- Strategic Leadership for District Health Teams
- Strengthening of Leadership Capacity of Human Resources in Reproductive Health Programs to Support Decentralization of Health Services
- The Effect of Strategic Leadership–Learning Organization (SLLO) Training and Translation on Reproductive Health Improvement in Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara Province