Joanne Katz, ScD
Associate Chair, Director of Academic Programs
Center & Institute Affiliation(s):
- Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology
- Global Health, Center for
- Human Nutrition, Center for
- International Center for Maternal & Newborn Health
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore , Maryland
ScD , Johns Hopkins University , 1992
MS , Princeton University
BSc, Statistics and Economics, University of Cape Town, 1978
MS, Mathematical Statistics, Princeton University, 1982
ScD, International Health, Johns Hopkins University, 1992
My research aims to reduce mortality and morbidity in under-served populations in the United States and abroad. The underlying discipline bases for this research are epidemiology, community randomized trials and biostatistics. Areas of focus include (1) macro and micronutrient deficiencies, (2) neonatal and maternal health, (3) interaction between nutrition and infection, (4) ophthalmic epidemiology and blindness prevention.
Current projects include
1. A randomized trial to assess the impact of newborn massage with mustard seed versus sunflower seed oil on neonatal morbidity and mortality in rural Nepal.
2. A randomized trial to assess the impact of maternal influenza vaccination on respiratory infections in mothers and infants in Sarlahi, Nepal.
3. Pertussis incidence, risk factors and maternal antibody transfer among young infants in rural Nepal.
4. Step wedge trial to assess the impact of improving cook stoves to reduce indoor air pollution and respiratory infections in young children in rural Nepal.
5. Global and regional estimation of the neonatal and infant mortality burden of being born preterm and/or small for gestational age, and maternal risk factors for preterm and/or small for gestational age outcomes through the Child Health Epidemiology Research Group (CHERG).
6. A study to examine whether iron and/or zinc supplementation in utero and/or in early childhood (prior to age 3) has an impact on cognition at age 7-9 years in rural Nepal.
Honors and Awards
2011 Johns Hopkins Alumni Knowledge for the World Award
2011 Global Health Excellence in Advising Award, Johns Hopkins University
2011 Golden Apple teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Advising, Mentoring and Teaching Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2002, 2005, 2011
2009 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Fellow
2009 American Academy of Ophthalmology Recognition of Outstanding Service to the Profession of Ophthalmology
Fellow, American College of Epidemiology, 1994
Delta Omega, 1993
epidemiology, biostatistics, community trials, vitamin A, iron, zinc, micronutrients, neonatal and maternal health, adolescent pregnancy, reproductive health, respiratory infections, ophthalmology, blindness and visual impairment, Nepal, Bangladesh.
Katz J, Lee ACC, Kozuki N, Lawn JE, Cousens S, Blencowe H, et al. and the CHERG Small-for-Gestational-Age-Preterm Birth Working Group. Mortality risk in preterm and small-for-gestational-age infants in low-income and middle-income countries: a pooled country analysis. Lancet 2013;EPub; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60993-9.
Lee ACC, Katz J, Blencowe H, Cousens S, Kozuki N, Vogel JP, et al. and the CHERG SGA-Preterm Working Group. Born Too Small: National and Regional Estimates of Term and Preterm Small-for-Gestational-Age in 138 Low-Middle Income Countries in 2010. Lancet Global Health Lancet Glob Health 2013; 1: e26–36.
Christian P, Klemm R, Shamim AA, Ali H, Rashid M, Shaikh S, Wu L, Mehra S, Labrique A, Katz J, West KP Jr. Effects of vitamin A and β-carotene supplementation on birth size and length of gestation in rural Bangladesh: a cluster-randomized trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013 Jan;97(1):188-94. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.112.042275.
Mullany LC, Khatry SK, Katz J, Stanton CK, Lee AC, Darmstadt GL, LeClerq SC, Tielsch JM. Injections during labor and intrapartum-related hypoxic injury and mortality in rural southern Nepal. Int J Gynecol Obstet (2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2013.02.013
Friedman DS, Holbrook JT, Ansari H, Alexander J, Burke A, Reed SB, Katz J, Thorne JE, Lightman SL, Kempen JH for the MUST Research Group. Risk of elevated intraocular pressure and glaucoma in patients with Uveitis: results of the Multicenter Uveitis Steroid Treatment Trial. Ophthalmology 2013; doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2013.01.025.