Joanne Katz, ScD
- Division: Global Disease Epidemiology and Control
- Biostatistics (Joint)
- Epidemiology (Joint)
Center & Institute Affiliations
- Center for Global Health
- Center for Human Nutrition
- Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology
- International Center for Maternal & Newborn Health
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
ScD, Johns Hopkins University, 1993
MS, Princeton University, 1982
BSc, University of Cape Town, 1978
My research aims to reduce mortality and morbidity in under-served populations in the United States and abroad. The underlying discipline bases for this research are epidemiology, community randomized trials and biostatistics. Areas of focus include (1) maternal, neonatal and child health, (3) nutritional deficiencies and infectious diseases, (4) eye diseases and blindness prevention.
Current projects include
1. A randomized trial to assess the impact of newborn massage with mustard seed versus sunflower seed oil on neonatal morbidity and mortality in rural Nepal.
2. A randomized trial to assess the impact of maternal influenza vaccination on respiratory infections in mothers and infants in Sarlahi, Nepal.
3. An observational study to determine if auxiliary nurse midwives can be trained to evaluate non-cephalic presentation, multiple gestation and placenta previa accurately in the 3rd trimester using portable ultrasound in rural Nepal.
4. Pertussis incidence, risk factors and maternal antibody transfer among young infants in rural Nepal.
5. Step wedge trial to assess the impact of improving cook stoves to reduce indoor air pollution and respiratory infections in young children in rural Nepal.
Honors and Awards
2016 Maryland Women's Hall of Fame
2014 Children's Prize
2011 Johns Hopkins Alumni Knowledge for the World Award
2011 Global Health Excellence in Advising Award, Johns Hopkins University
2011 Golden Apple teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Advising, Mentoring and Teaching Recognition Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2002, 2005, 2011
2009 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Fellow
2009 American Academy of Ophthalmology Recognition of Outstanding Service to the Profession of Ophthalmology
Fellow, American College of Epidemiology, 1994
Delta Omega, 1993
- community trials
- vitamin A
- maternal health
- neonatal health
- child health
- adolescent pregnancy
- reproductive health
- respiratory infections
- blindness and visual impairment
A selection of 5 publication from the past 2 years.
- Hughes M, Tielsch JM, Steinhoff M, Englund J, LeClerq SC, Khatry SK, Katz J. Infant Vaccination Timing: Beyond Traditional Coverage Metrics for Maximizing Impact of Vaccine Programs, an Example from Southern Nepal. Vaccine 2016. 34;933-941
- Chu HY, Katz J, Tielsch J, Khatry SK, Shrestha L, LeClerq SC, Magaret A, Kuypers J, Steinhoff MC, Englund JA. Clinical Presentation and Birth Outcomes Associated with Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection in Pregnancy. PLoS One. 2016 Mar 31;11(3):e0152015. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0152015. eCollection 2016.
- Kozuki N, Katz J, Lee AC, Vogel JP, Silveira MF, Sania A, Stevens GA, Caulfield LE, Christian P, Huybregts L, Roberfroid D, Schmiegelow C, Adair L, Barros F, Cowan M, Fawzi W, Kolsteren P, Merialdi M, Mongkolchati A, Saville N, Victora CG, Bhutta ZA, Blencowe H, Cousens S, Ezzati M, Lawn JE, Black RE. Short maternal stature increases the risk of small-for-gestational-age and preterm birth in low and-middle income countries: meta-analysis and population attributable fraction. J Nutr 2015 doi: 10.3945/jn.115.216374. Editor’s Pick for Volume 145 Issue 11.
- Kozuki N, Katz J, Christian P, Lee ACC, Liu Li, Baqui AH, Humphrey J, Huybregts L, Mongkolchati A, Mullany LC, Roberfroid D, Tielsch JM, Oddo VM, Black RE, on behalf of the Child Health Epidemiology Reference Group Preterm Birth-SGA Working Group. Small-for-gestational-age comparing U.S. birthweight references to INTERGROWTH-21st standard. JAMA Pediatr. 2015;169(7):e151438. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.
- Tielsch JM, Steinhoff M, Katz J, Englund J, Kuypers J, Khatry SK, Shrestha L, LeClerq SC. Designs of Two Randomized, Community-Based Trials to Assess the Impact of Influenza Immunization during Pregnancy on Respiratory Illness among Pregnant Women and their Infants and Reproductive Outcomes in Rural Nepal. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015 Feb 20;15:40. doi: 10.1186/s12884-015-0470-y.
- Maternal Influenza Vaccine Trial
- Nepal Sunflower Oil Massage Study
- Pertussis in Mothers and Infants: Characterization of Risk and Maternal Immunological Protection
- The Pediatric Eye Disease Consortium: A pooled analysis of individual participant data from population-based studies