Adnan Ali Hyder, MD
Center & Institute Affiliations
- Center for Global Health
- Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics
- Johns Hopkins International Injury Research Unit (IIRU)
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
MD, Aga Khan University, 1990
PhD, Johns Hopkins University
MPH, Johns Hopkins University
Research interests include: - Exploring the impact of injuries and violence as a public health problem in the developing world - Evaluating potential interventions to reduce the burden of injuries in Asia and Africa - Looking at issues of equity and vulnerability in the distribution of the burden of injuries and violence - Measuring the burden of disease using summary measures of population health at national and regional level - Data for decision making in health in the developing world.
In addition, empirical work is currently underway on the ethical implications of public health programs and health research in the developing world.
Honors and Awards
2011: Aron Sobel Guardian Award, Association for Safe International Road Travel
2010: Accepted the Prince Michael International Award for Road Safety for the Road Traffic Injuries Research Network (chair)
2009: Global Health Ambassador, Research!America and Paul Rogers Society for Global Health
2001: Mid-Career Achievement Award, International Health Section, American Public Health Association, USA
2000: Advising, Mentoring and Teaching Recognition Award (AMTR), Student Assembly, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, USA
1998: Elected to the Delta Omega Society - Alpha Chapter; peer reviewed honors society for public health graduates in USA. Lifetime member as of 1999.
1992-1994: International Fellowship for Post-Graduate Studies in Public Health, Aga Khan Foundation, Geneva.
- International Health
- burden of disease
- South Asia
- East Africa
- road safety
Selected papers only
- FULL PAPERS: Accepted (in press as of Jan 2009)
- Hyder AA, Dawson L, Bachani AG, Lavery JV. Moving from research ethics review to research ethics systems in low and middle income countries. The Lancet
- Hyder AA, Ghaffar A, Masud TI, Bachani A, Nasir K. Injury patterns in long term refugee populations: case study of Afghan refugees. Journal of Trauma
- Hyder AA, Meddings D, Bachani A. MENTOR-VIP: piloting a global mentoring program for injury and violence prevention. Academic Medicine
- Hyder AA, Sugerman D, Puvanachandra P, Razzak J, El-Sayed H, Isaza A, Rahman F, Peden M. Childhood unintentional injuries surveillance in developing countries: a multi-country pilot study. Bull of WHO
- Bloomberg Data for Health - Non-Communicable Diseases (D4H-NCD) surveillance project.
- Bloomberg Road Safety Program 2015-2017: Bloomberg Road Safety Program
- Chronic Consequences of Trauma, Injuries, Disability Across the Lifespan: Uganda
- Chronic Injuries in Uganda
- Data for Health Initiative
- Drowning Prevention Research Program
- E-CAPACITY FOR TRAUMA, INJURIES AND DISABILITY RESEARCH AND TRAINING IN UGANDA
- Exploring the Ethics of Effective Health Systems Research Symposium
- Global Road Safety Program
- Improving the Trauma Care System in the Sultanate of Oman
- JHU-IKU Mobile Health for Child Injury Prevention in Malaysia (M-CHILD)
- Mobile Phone Surveys for NCD risk factors (MoP-NCD) in Uganda
- Pre-Hospital Ambulance Response using a Checklist in a Chronic Hum...