Olakunle O. Alonge, MD
- Assistant Professor
- Division: Health Systems
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2013
MPH, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2009
MD, University of Ibadan, 2002
I have broad interest in health systems, implementation science and child injuries. My research objectives are focused on improving delivery of quality health services to disadvantaged populations; implementing and scale-up of effective public health programs; and reducing the burden of child injuries in low and middle income countries (LMIC). My research studies have looked at approaches for organizing and delivering primary health services; measuring health systems performance; and evaluating health systems strengthening strategies in LMIC. My studies have also focused on child injury epidemiology and large scale implementation of child injury prevention programs in LMIC.
My current research is focused on the application of implementation and systems science methods for improving design and evaluation of health systems strengthening strategies and child unintentional injuries interventions in LMIC. I am currently the Health Systems Section Editor for the Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition.
Honors and Awards
Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society, Alpha Chapter (2009)
Student Recognition Award, Student Assembly Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2009)
International Fellow, Ford Foundation (2008)
Faculty of Clinical Science Award, University of Ibadan (2002)
Olabode Fatoki Award in Preventive and Social Medicine, University of Ibadan (2002)
- Implementation science
- Health systems strengthening
- Health services delivery
- Child injuries
- Childhood drowning
- Injury epidemiology
- Large-scale evaluation
- South Asia
- sub-Saharan Africa
Selected publications from the last 3 years
- Alonge O, Gupta S, Engineer C, Salehi AS, Peters DH. Editor's Choice: Assessing the pro-poor effect of different contracting schemes for health services on health facilities in rural Afghanistan. Health Policy and Planning. 2015 Dec 1(30/10).
- Peters DH, Adam T, Alonge O, Agyepong IA, Tran N. Implementation research: what it is and how to do it. BMJ. 2013 Nov 20;347:f6753.
- Alonge O, Hyder AA. Reducing the global burden of childhood unintentional injuries. Archives of disease in childhood. 2014 Jan;99(1):62.
- Engineer CY, Dale E, Agarwal A, Agarwal A, Alonge O, Edward A, Gupta S, Schuh HB, Burnham G, Peters DH. Effectiveness of a pay-for-performance intervention to improve maternal and child health services in Afghanistan: a cluster-randomized trial. International journal of epidemiology. 2016 Feb 13:dyv362.
- Alonge O, Peters DH. Utility and limitations of measures of health inequities: a theoretical perspective. Global health action. 2015 Sep 9;8:27591.