PhD, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 2009
MD, University of Cocody, 2002
Through his professional experience and educational background work, Dr. Alain Koffi has gained an excellent grounding of cross-cutting methodological approach in implementing household surveys in developing countries. Currently, he is working closely with the brightest minds in the field of child health epidemiology to provide improved global estimates of the causes and determinants of maternal, neonatal (0-27 days old) and child (1-59 months old) morbidity and mortality. This involve two activities involve gathering new verbal autopsy (VA) and social autopsy (SA) data to directly measure neonatal and child mortality and its determinants in high priority countries.
Honors and Awards
2016- Fellowship- A short course sponsored by the Joint Program in Survey Methodology (University of Maryland & University of Michigan)- Introduction to Survey Sampling
2010-2011 Postdoctoral Fellowship: The Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2004-2009 Scholarship: Japanese Government for PhD Studies at Tokyo Medical and Dental University
2004 Extraordinary efforts in response to the public health emergencies affecting Liberian refugees destined for the USA by Center for Disease Control and Prevention
2002 Research Grant Award: France Embassy in Côte d'Ivoire
- Khanam R, Creanga AA, Koffi AK, Mitra DK, Mahmud A, Begum N, Moin SM, Ram M, Quaiyum MA, Ahmed S, Saha SK, Baqui AH; Projahnmo Study Group in Bangladesh.. Patterns and Determinants of Care-Seeking for Antepartum and Intrapartum Complications in Rural Bangladesh: Results from a Cohort Study. PLoS One. 2016 Dec 20;11(12):e0167814. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0167814. PubMed PMID: 27997537; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5172566.
- Liu L, Kalter HD, Chu Y, Kazmi N, Koffi AK, Amouzou A, Joos O, Munos M, Black RE. Understanding Misclassification between Neonatal Deaths and Stillbirths: Empirical Evidence from Malawi. PLoS One. 2016 Dec 28;11(12):e0168743. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0168743. PubMed PMID: 28030594.
- Munos MK, Koffi AK, Sangho H, Traoré MG, Diakité M, Silva R; Mali RMM Working Group.. Strengthening Community Networks for Vital Event Reporting: Community-Based Reporting of Vital Events in Rural Mali. PLoS One. 2015 Nov 25;10(11):e0132164. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0132164. PubMed PMID: 26605540; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4659620.
- Koffi AK, Maina A, Yaroh AG, Habi O, Bensaïd K, Kalter HD. Social determinants of child mortality in Niger: Results from the 2012 National Verbal and Social Autopsy Study. J Glob Health. 2016 Jun;6(1):010603. doi: 10.7189/jogh.06.010603. PubMed PMID: 26955473; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4766790.
- Nonyane BA, Kazmi N, Koffi AK, Begum N, Ahmed S, Baqui AH, Kalter HD. Factors associated with delay in care-seeking for fatal neonatal illness in the Sylhet district of Bangladesh: results from a verbal and social autopsy study. J Glob Health. 2016 Jun;6(1):010605. doi: 10.7189/jogh.06.010605. PubMed PMID: 27350876; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4920004.
See all publications by Alain K. Koffi