Colleen L. Barry, PhD
- Chair, Department of Health Policy and Management
Center & Institute Affiliations
- Center for Mental Health and Addiction Policy Research
- Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research
- Johns Hopkins Center for Injury Research and Policy
624 N. Broadway
Hampton House 403
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Harvard University, 2004
MPP, Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of Government, 1999
BA, Drew University, 1992
Colleen L. Barry, Ph.D., M.P.P. is a Professor and Associate Chair for Research and Practice in the Department of Health Policy and Management at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She is a co-Director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Mental Health and Addiction Policy Research. Professor Barry conducts policy analysis and political communication research with a focus on vulnerable populations and often-stigmatized health conditions including mental illness, substance use and obesity. Much of her current research involves examining the implications of various aspects of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) on persons with mental illness or substance use disorders. She has also led studies examining public opinion and political persuasion in the context of childhood obesity, mental illness and gun policy. She teaches courses in health policy and in public opinion research. Professor Barry received her Ph.D. in health policy from Harvard University and her masters degree in public policy from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard.
Honors and Awards
National Institute of Mental Health Doctoral Training Grant (T32)
- Health Care Policy, Political Analysis, Mental Health, Addiction, Childhood Obesity, Health Care Reform
Barry CL, Stuart EA, Donohue J, Greenfield S, Kouri E, Duckworth K, Song C, Mechanic R, Chernew M, Huskamp HA. Effects of Payment Reform and Accountable Care on Mental Health: Early Experience with the “Alternative Quality Contract” in Massachusetts. 2015. Health Affairs. 34(12):2077-85.
- Barry CL, McGinty EE, Vernick JS, Webster DW (2013). After Newtown – Public Opinion on Gun Policy and Mental Illness. New England Journal of Medicine 368(12): 1077-81.
- Barry CL, Chien A, Normand ST, Busch AB, Goldman HH, Azzone V, Huskamp HA (2013). Parity and Out-of-Pocket Spending for Children with High Mental Health or Substance Abuse Expenditures. Pediatrics, 131(3):e903-11.
- Barry CL, Lemke K, Weiner J, Busch SH (2012). Risk Adjustment in the Health Insurance Exchanges for Individuals with Mental Illness. American Journal of Psychiatry, 169(7): 704-709.
- Barry CL, Gollust SE, Niederdeppe J (2012). Are Americans Ready to Solve the Weight of the Nation? New England Journal of Medicine, 367(5): 389-391.