Bradley Herring, PhD
- Associate Professor
- Health Policy and Management (Primary)
Center & Institute Affiliations
624 N. Broadway
Hampton House 408
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, University of Pennsylvania, 2000
Dr. Herring’s research focuses on a number of economic and public policy issues related to health insurance coverage. He has published articles in the Journal of Health Economics and New England Journal of Medicine, and is co-author of the book Pooling Health Insurance Risks. His research has been funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, OECD, HHS ASPE, and AHRQ.
For instance, his research has examined the availability of charity care to the uninsured, the individual health insurance market, Medicaid managed care, and insurer and hospital market concentration. More recently, he is examining the effect of health insurance coverage on health outcomes, the effect of rising health insurance premiums on worker wages, and the effect of the 2010 Affordable Care Act on employment-based insurance.
Dr. Herring earned his PhD from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and completed a two-year RWJF Scholars in Health Policy fellowship at Yale University. He also served for a year with the White House’s Council of Economic Advisers and recently served as the Chair of the Board of Directors for the Maryland Health Insurance Plan.
Dr. Herring teaches the four-credit course Introduction to the US Healthcare System for masters students in the first term onsite and the fourth term online. He also co-teaches the course sequence Microeconomic Models in Public Health I-IV for advanced PhD students.
Honors and Awards
Advising, Mentoring, and Teaching Recognition Award (AMTRA) from the Bloomberg School, 2013.
Teaching Excellence Recognition from the Bloomberg School for Microeconomic Models in Public Health course, 2013, 2014.
Outstanding Teacher Award from the Department of Health Policy and Management, 2012.
Teaching Excellence Recognition from the Bloomberg School for Introduction to the US Healthcare System, 2011, 2014, 2015.
- Health Economics
- Health Policy
- Healthcare Reform
- Private Health Insurance
Five slected publications are listed below. More of Dr. Herring's publications are listed at Google Scholar (link).
- Trish E, Herring B, How Do Health Insurer Market Concentration and Bargaining Power with Hospitals Affect Health Insurance Premiums? Journal of Health Economics 42, 2015, 104-114. (link)
- Herring B, Lentz LK, What Can We Expect from the Cadillac Tax in 2018 and Beyond? Inquiry 48.4, 2012: 322-337. (link)
- Herring B. Suboptimal Provision of Preventive Healthcare Due to Expected Enrollee Turnover Among Private Insurers. Health Economics 19.4, 2010: 438-448. (link)
- Adams EK, Herring B. Medicaid HMO Penetration and Its Mix: Did Increased Penetration Affect Physician Participation in Urban Markets? Health Services Research 43.1.2, 2008: 363-383. (link)
- Herring B. The Effect of the Availability of Charity Care to the Uninsured on the Demand for Private Health Insurance. Journal of Health Economics 24.2, 2005: 225-252. (link)