Gypsyamber D'Souza, PhD
- Associate Professor
- Division: Cancer Epidemiology
- Division: Global Disease Epidemiology and Control
- School of Medicine (Joint)
Center & Institute Affiliations
- Center for Global Health
- Center for Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) Research, Prevention and Training
- Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study
- Women's Interagency HIV Study (WIHS)
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2007
MPH, University of Texas Health Science Center, 2001
MS, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1999
Dr. D'Souza's primary research interest is in infectious causes of cancer. Current research explores the association between Human Papillomavirus (HPV) and oral, cervical and anal cancers, global cancer, screening and prevention of cancer, and well as risk behaviors and STDs.
Dr. D'Souza also has active research projects in head and neck cancer epidemiology, cancer screening methods, biomarkers of HPV persistence, tobacco cessation, epidemiology of HIV/AIDS, and AIDS malignancy. She is alse a PI of the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study (MACS) datacenter.
Honors and Awards
2017 Publications cited over 7,000 times to date (per Google Scholar)
2016-17 Member of the American Dental Association Oral Cancer Guideline PICO Committee
2016-current Member of the NIH National Cancer Institute HPV Vaccine Trial Working Group
2007 Research cited as one of top six advances in cancer research in 2007 by the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
1995 Received the Gold U.S. Congressional award, recognizing initiative, achievement and service
- HPV, global cancer
- cancer prevention
- AIDS malignancy
- risk behavior
- sexual behavior
- cancer screening
- epidemiology methods
- cancer epidemiology
- D'Souza G, Westra WH, Wang SJ, van Zante A, Wentz A, Kluz N, Rettig E, Ryan WR, Ha PK, Kang H, Bishop J, Quon H, Kiess AP, Richmon JD, Eisele DW, Fakhry C. Differences in the Prevalence of Human Papillomavirus (HPV) in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Cancers by Sex, Race, Anatomic Tumor Site, and HPV Detection Method. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Dec 8. PMID: 27930766.
- Fakhry C, D'Souza G. Discussing the diagnosis of HPV-OSCC: Common questions and answers. Oral Oncology. 2013 Jul 16. PMID:23876627.
- D'Souza G, Wentz A, Kluz N, Zhang Y, Sugar E, Youngfellow RM, Guo Y, Xiao W, Gillison ML. Sex Differences in Risk Factors and Natural History of Oral Human Papillomavirus Infection. J Infect Dis. 2016 Jun 15;213(12):1893-6. PMID: 26908748
- D'Souza G, Wentz A, Wiley D, Shah N, Barrington F, Darragh TM, Joste N, Plankey M, Reddy S, Breen EC, Young S, Cranston RD. Anal Cancer Screening in Men Who Have Sex With Men in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Apr 15;71(5):570-6. PMID:26656784; PMCID: PMC4788521.
- D’Souza G, Kreimer AR, Viscidi R, Pawlita M, Fakhry C, Koch W, Westra W, Gillison ML. Case-control study Human Papillomavirus and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. New England Journal of Medicine. 2007. May 10; 356(19)1944-1956. PMID: 17494927
- Men Offering Understanding of Throat Hpv (MOUTH)