Steven S. An, PhD
- Associate Professor
- Environmental Health Sciences (Primary)
- Whiting School of Engineering (Joint)
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Brown University, 2000
My current work comprises both basic and translational research focusing on the cellular and molecular basis for obstructive lung disease and exploring new intervention strategies.
My lab has the unique capability to measure, at the single cell level, changes in stiffness using Magnetic Twisting Cytometry (MTC), contractile force using Fourier Transform Traction Microscopy (FTTM), and discrete molecular-level remodeling dynamics of the living cytoskeleton using Spontaneous Nanoscale Tracer Motions (SNTM). These state-of-art nanotechnologies are readily applicable to a wide variety of cell types and, in combination of multiple genetic, chemical and mechanical manipulations, have broad research applications that are at the interface of cell biology, physics and medicine.
Honors and Awards
2006 - Ann Woolcock Memorial Award for Outstanding Contributions and Future Promise in Asthma Research, American Thoracic Society
2007 - Faculty Research Initiative Award, Johns Hopkins University
2010 - American Asthma Foundation (Sandler) Award
2012 - Teaching Excellence, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
2013 - Program Chair-Elect, Respiratory Structure and Function Assembly, American Thoracic Society
2014 - Program Chair, Respiratory Structure and Function Assembly, American Thoracic Society
2015 - Discovery Award, Johns Hopkins University
2016 - Discovery Award, Johns Hopkins University
- Obstructive Lung Disease
- Airway Smooth Muscle
- Molecular Biophysics
- Cell Mechanics
- An Lab is currently supported by NIH grants: R01-AG041265 (Deshpande), R01-DK035385 (Rattan), R01-DK100483 (Ettickan), R01-ES024784 (Tang), R01-HL058506 (Penn), P01-HL114471 (Panettieri, Penn, Benovic, Liggett), R01-HL045967 (Liggett), R01-HL107361 (An)
Selected Publications: New and Noteworthy
- An SS, Mitzner W, Tang WY, Ahn K, Yoon AR, Huang J, Kilic O, Yong HM, Fahey JW, Kumar S, Biswal S, Holgate ST, Panettieri RA, Solway J, and Liggett SB. (2016) An inflammation-independent contraction mechanophenotype of airway smooth muscle in asthma. Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology 138:294-297. *Corresponding author
- Park J, Kim DH, Kim HN, Wang C, Kwak MK, Hur E, Suh KY, An SS, and Levchenko A. (2016) Directed migration of cancer cells guided by the graded texture of the underlying matrix. Nature Materials 15:792-801. * Co-corresponding author
- Mattison JA, Wang M, Bernier M, Zhang J, Park SS, Maudsley S, An SS, Santhanam L, Martin B, Faulkner S, Morrell C, Baur JA, Peshkin L, Sosnowska D, Csiszar A, Herbert RL, Tilmont EM, Ungvari Z, Pearson KJ, Lakatta EG, de Cabo R. (2014) Resveratrol prevents high fat/sucrose diet-induced central arterial wall inflammation and stiffening in nonhuman primates. Cell Metabolism 20:183-90.
- Deshpande DA, Wang WCH, McIlmoyle EL, Robinett KS, Schillinger RM, An SS, Sham JSK, and Liggett SB. (2010) Bitter taste receptors on airway smooth muscle bronchodilate by localized calcium signaling and reverse obstruction. Nature Medicine 16, 1299-1304.
- Trepat X, Deng L, An SS, Navajas D, Tschumperlin DJ, Gerthoffer WT, Butler JP, and Fredberg JJ. (2007) Universal physical responses to stretch in the living cell. Nature 447, 592-595.