Frank C. Curriero, PhD
- Associate Professor
Center & Institute Affiliations
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Kansas State University, 1996
MA, The Pennsylvania State University, 1990
Dr. Curriero’s research focus is on the development and application of spatial and spatial-temporal statistical methods in the public health sciences. Much of his current work involves translating methods of spatial science involving spatial data, GIS and spatial statistics for building research capacity in wide ranging public health applications. His efforts have focused on identifying and quantifying spatial variation for improved exposure assessment via geostatistical methods and for models characterizing spatial variation in risk as a function of environmental determinants.
A substantial part of Dr. Curriero’s academic agenda involves education; leading the development of the onsite spatial analysis curriculum at Johns Hopkins (currently includes the four course sequence in spatial analysis) as well as director of the online Master of Applied Science in Spatial Analysis for Public Health program.
Honors and Awards
Student Assembly Advising, Mentoring, and Teaching Recognition Award (AMTRA) 2004, 2011
Recognized for Excellence in teaching, 2011-2016
Best Paper Award for Curriero, FC: On the Use of Non-Euclidean Distance Measures in Geostatistics, Mathematical Geology, 38, 907-926, 2006. International Association for Mathematical Geology, 2007.
- Spatial statistics
- environmental statistics
- geographic information systems
Recent representative publications
- Kanyangarara M, Mamini E, Mharakurwa S, Munyati S, Gwanzura L, Kobayashi T, Shields T, Mullany LC, Mutambu S, Mason PR, Moss WJ, Curriero FC. High-Resolution Plasmodium falciparum Malaria Risk Mapping in Mutasa District, Zimbabwe: Implications for Regaining Control, American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 2016:95(1), 141-147.
- Rebeiro PF, Gange SJ, Horberg MA, Abraham AG, Napravnik S, Samji H, Yehia BR, Althoff KN, Sterling TR, and Curriero FC: Geographic Variations in Retention in Care among HIV-Infected Adults in the United States, PLOS ONE, 2016 Jan:11(1).
- Murphy RR, Pearlman, E, Ball WP, Curriero FC: Kriging with Water Distance in Chesapeake Bay. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 2015:20, 05014034.
- Curriero FC, Pinchoff J, van Landingham S, Ferrucci L, Friedman DS, Ramulu P: Alteration of Travel Patterns with Vision Loss from Glaucoma and Macular Degeneration. Journal of the American Medical Association Ophthalmology, 2013:131(11), 1420-1426.
- Curriero FC, Klassen AC, Boscoe FP, Kulldorff M: Using Imputation to Provide Location Information for Nongeocoded Addresses. PLOS ONE, February, 5:1-10, 2010.