Cindy Parker, MD
- CoDirector Program on Global Sustainability and Health
- CoDirector MPH Concentration in Global Environmental Sustainability and Health
- Director Global Environmental Change and Sustainability Major/Minor
- Associate Director Environment Energy Sustainabili
- Assistant Professor
- Environmental Health Sciences
- Krieger School of Arts and Sciences (Joint)
Center & Institute Affiliations
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
MD, University of Arizona, 1988
MPH, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2000
Research & Practice Interests
I work on climate change policy change initiatives for the state of Maryland and nationally. I am also interested in how global environmental issues such as climate change are communicated in such a way as to motivate behavior change. The interplay between peak oil and climate change is another area of interest as is working with communities to solve local and global environmental problems and sustainable development issues.
Honors and Awards
2000 Inducted into Delta Omega Alpha, Public Health Honor’s Society
1987-1988 American Association of University Women Educational Fellowship
1986 Edith Petrie Brown Award for Outstanding Community Service to Women
1986 Ciba Geigy Award for Outstanding Community Service
1984 Schaible Memorial Award for Outstanding Biology Student of the Year
1984 Graduated Magna Cum Laude, University of Alaska
- global warming, climate change, sustainability, global environmental change, peak oil, peak petroleum, risk communication, crisis communication, energy scarcity, energy policy, energy and health
Parker CL. 2011. Slowing Global Warming: Co-Benefits for Patients and Planet, American Family Physician, cover article, 84(3):271-278.
Parker CL. 2011. Global Warming and Your Health, Patient Handout, American Family Physician, 84(3):282-283.
Frumkin H, Hess J, Parker CL, Schwartz BS. 2011. Peak Petroleum: Fuel for Public Health Debate. American Journal of Public Health, Editor’s Choice, 101(9):1542.
Schwartz BS, Parker CL, Hess J, Frumkin H. 2011. Public Health and Medicine in an Age of Energy Scarcity: The Case of Petroleum. American Journal of Public Health, 101(9):1560-67.
Barnett DJ, Parker CL, Caine VA, McKee M, Shirley LM, Links JM. 2011. Petroleum Scarcity and Public Health: Considerations for Local Health Departments. American Journal of Public Health, 101(9):1580-86.