David Bishai, PhD
- Director Interdepartmental Health Economics Program
- Population, Family and Reproductive Health (Primary)
- Health, Behavior and Society (Joint)
- International Health (Joint)
Center & Institute Affiliations
- Center for Global Health
- Hopkins Population Center
- Johns Hopkins Center for Injury Research and Policy
- Johns Hopkins International Injury Research Unit (IIRU)
- Johns Hopkins Vaccine Initiative
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Wharton Business School, 1996
MPH, University of California, Los Angeles, 1987
MD, University of California San Diego Medical School, 1987
Dr. Bishai's major research interest is the economics of public health practice.
His current projects focus on the connection between the operations at national, state and local health departments and improved population health. He is currently conducting work on public health in Qatar, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand, India, China, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. He teaches Introduction to Health Economics, Poverty Economic Development and Health, Systems Thinking in Public Health.
Honors and Awards
Board Certification and Recertification: American Board of Pediatrics and American Board of Internal Medicine, 1991 Advising, Mentoring and Teaching Award (AMTRA), 2006. Golden Apple Award for Teaching, 2015. President-Elect Faculty Senate 2015
- health economics, population economics
- family economics
- marriage, gender, paternity
- infidelity, divorce, polygyny
- adolescent health, vaccines
- AIDS vaccine
- meningococcal disease
- human papilloma virus
- HPV, cervical cancer
- health equity
- injuries, road traffic accidents
Selected publications back to 2013.
Alfonso, Y. N., G. Ding and D. Bishai (2015). "Income Elasticity of Vaccines Spending versus General Healthcare Spending." In Press Health Economics.
Bishai, D. (2014) “Generalized nutrient taxes can increase consumer welfare" Health Economics In Press. DOI: 10.1002/hec.3101
Diamond-Smith, N*. Bishai, D. (2014) Evidence of Self-Correction of Child Sex Ratios in India: A District Level Analysis from 1981-2011 Demography 2014:1-26..
Colchero MA, Bishai D. Weight and earnings among childbearing women in Metropolitan Cebu, Philippines (1983-2002). Econ Hum Biol. 2012 Jul;10(3):256-63.