Gerard Anderson, PhD
Director, Center for Hospital Finance and Management
Center & Institute Affiliation(s):
624 N. Broadway
Hampton House 302
Baltimore , Maryland 21205
PhD , University of Pennsylvania , 1978
GERARD F. ANDERSON, PhD is a professor of health policy and management and professor of international health at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School Public Health, professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Hospital Finance and Management. His work encompasess studies of chronic conditions, comparative insurance systems in developing countries, medical education, health care payment reform, and technology diffusion.
He has directed reviews of health systems for the World Bank and USAID in multiple countries. He has authored two books on health care payment policy, published over 250 peer reviewed articles, testified in Congress over 40 times as an individual witness, and serves on multiple editorial committees.
Prior to his arrival at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Anderson held various positions in the Office of the Secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, where he helped to develop Medicare prospective payment legislation.
Honors and Awards
Phi Beta Kappa, Haverford College, 1973
Magna Cum Laude, Haverford College, 1973
High Honors in Economics, Haverford College, 1973
University Fellow, University of Pennsylvania, 1974-1977
Fellow of the Fels Center of Government, University of Pennsylvania, 1974-1977
National Health Care Management Fellow, University of Pennsylvania, 1977-1978
Delta Omega Honor Society in Public Health, 1990
Who's Who, 1989 - present
500 Health Policy Leaders - Washington Medicine and Health, 1991 - present
Co-author - Article of Year, Association of Health Services Research, 1995
AHSR Fellow - Association for Health Services Research, 1996 - present
- Chronic Disease
- Anderson, Gerard F., Amber Willink, and Robin Osborn. "Reevaluating “Made in America”—Two Cost-Containment Ideas from Abroad." New England Journal of Medicine 368.24 (2013): 2247-2249.
- Berkowitz, Scott A., and Gerard F. Anderson. "Medicare beneficiaries most likely to be readmitted." Journal of Hospital Medicine 8.11 (2013): 639-641.
- Ikegami, Naoki, and Gerard F. Anderson. "In Japan, all-payer rate setting under tight government control has proved to be an effective approach to containing costs." Health Affairs 31.5 (2012): 1049-1056.
- Robles, Sylvia, Emily Adrion, and Gerard F. Anderson. "Premature adult mortality from non-communicable diseases (NCD) in three middle-income countries: do NCD programmes matter?." Health policy and planning 27.6 (2012): 487-498.
- Hossein, Zare, and Anderson Gerard. "Trends in cost sharing among selected high income countries—2000–2010." Health Policy 112.1 (2013): 35-44.