Geetha Jayaram, MD
- Director, Inpatient Short Stay psychiatry unit
- Associate Professor
- School of Medicine (Primary)
- Health Policy and Management (Joint)
Center & Institute Affiliations
- Center for Global Health
- Center for Health Services and Outcomes Research
- Center for Mental Health Initiatives
Meyer 4-181, Johns Hopkins Hospital
Interest in health services research, severe mental illness, patient safety and quality of care. Interested in teaching these concepts. Also working on preventing injury to patients and staff, avoiding medical errors. Interested in humanitarian work in poorer countries with foundation grants.
Honors and Awards
2002 Award for Leadership, Indo-American Psychiatric Association National Service
2004-2005 Rotary International Humanitarian Service Award (for a mental health project), India
2007-2008 (6) Rotary International District level Awards including Best President for Humanitarian Service
2008 Distinguished Service Award, American Association of Psychiatric Administrators, Washington, DC
2008 President’s Award, St. John’s Medical College Alumni Association (for community psychiatric service), Orlando, Florida
2010 Radha Pathak Award (for raising mental health awareness among South Asians), Counselors Helping Asian Indians, Columbia, MD
2011, 2012 The Rotary Foundation Global Alumni Service to Humanity Award, Zone 33 (out of 700 clubs)
2012 Rotary International, ‘Service- Above- Self’ Global Award
2013 ‘Top 18 Professors in Maryland’. Selected by the School of Nursing
2013 The Paul McHugh award for excellence in resident teaching
2014 Jeanne Spurlock, M.D. Social Justice Award, American Women’s Psychiatric Association
2014 Rotary International Global Alumnus Award for Global Community psychiatry (only one in the world) 20155
2014 Rotary Bangalore Midtown Award for Global Community Psychiatric Service
2015 Member American College of Psychiatrists
Who’s Who for Physician Executives, America’s Best Doctors, 2000-2014
Baltimore’s Best Docs in Baltimore Magazine, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,2014
Super Doctors, Washington, DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Best Doctors in America, 2011-2014
- rural mental health community psychiatry severe mental illness humanitarian project suicide prevention
Antonio Lasalvia, Tine Van Bortel, Chiara Bonetto, Geetha Jayaram, Jaap van Weeghel, Silvia Zoppei, Lee Knifton, Neil Quinn, Kristian Wahlbeck, Doriana Cristofalo, Mariangela Lanfredi, Norman Sartorius, Graham Thornicroft, and the ASPEN/ INDIGO Study Group. Cross-national variations in reported discrimination among people treated for major depression worldwide: the ASPEN/INDIGO international study. British Journal of Psychiatry. (In Press). 2015.
- Lasalvia A, Zoppei S, Van Bortel T, Bonetto C, Cristofalo D, Wahlbeck K, Bacle SV, Van Audenhove C, van Weeghel J, Reneses B, Germanavicius A, Economou M,Lanfredi M, Ando S, Sartorius N, Lopez-Ibor JJ,Thornicroft G, Treacy S, Brohan E, Rose D, Aromaa E,Nordmyr J, Nyqvist F, Herberts C, Lewis O, Russo J,Karsay D, Maglajlic R, Goldie I, Knifton L, Quinn N,Scheerder G, Tambuyzer E, Hristakeva V, Roelandt JL,Daumerie N, Caria A, Zaske H, Gaebel W, Louki E,Peppou L, Geroulanou K, Harangozo J, Sebes J, Csukly G, Rossi G, Pedrini L, Markovskaja N, Valantinas V,Boumans J, Willemsen E, Plooy A, Duarte T, Monteiro FJ,Teodorescu R, Radu I, Pana E, Hurova J, Leczova D,Svab V, Konecnik N, Palomares N, Bayon C, Ucok A,Karaday G, Glozier N, Cockayne N, Tófoli LF, Costa MS,Milev R, Garrah T, Tackaberry L, Stuart H, Margetic BA,Grošic PF, Jakovljevic M, Wenigová B, Pavla Š, Radwan DN, Johnson P, Goud R, Nandesh, Jayaram G, Suzuki Y,Akiyama T, Matsunaga A, Bernick P, Bowa J, Ola B,Owoeye O, Oshodi Y, Abdulmalik J, Chee KY, Ali N, Kadri N, Belghazi D, Anwar Y, Khan N, Kausar R, Vidojevic IM,Sumathipala A, Chang CC, Mei C, Nacef F, Ouali U,Ouertani H, Jomli R, Ouertani A, Kaaniche K, Bello R,Ortega M, Melone A, Marques MA, Marco F, Ríos A,Rodríguez E, Laguado A. Global pattern of experienced and anticipated discrimination reported by people with major depressive disorder: a cross-sectional survey.. The Lancet (Lancet)Publisher: Elsevier
The Lancet . 10/2012; DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736 (12)61379-8.
Srinivasan K, Isaacs A., Thomas T, Jayaram G., Outcomes of Common Mental Disorders in Southern Rural India. Indian Journal of Social Psychiatry. Indian Journal of Social Psychiatry 2006; 22: 110-115.
Isaacs AN, Srinivasan K, Neerakkal I, Jayaram G. Initiating a community mental health programme in rural Karnataka. Indian Journal of Community Medicine. (In Press). Jayaram G, Rao P. Safety of Trazadone as a Sleep Agent for Inpatients. Psychosomatics. 2005; (46): 367-369. Grasso BC, Rothschild JM, Jordan CW, Jayaram G. What is the Measure of a safe hospital? Medication errors missed by Management, Clinical Staff and Surveyors. Journal of Psychiatric Practice. 2005; (11): 1-7. Jayaram G, Casimir A. Major Depression and the use of Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) in Lung Transplant recipients. Psychosomatics. 2005; (46): 244-249. Jayaram G. Patient Safety Forum: Developing a Strategic Plan. Psychiatric Services. 2004; (55): 259-263 Lee H, Jayaram G, Teitlebaum M. Electroconvulsive Therapy for Depression in a Cardiac Transplant Patient. Psychosomatics. 2001; (42): 362-364. Schretlen D, Jayaram G, Maki P, et al .Demographic, Clinical and Neurocognitive correlates of Everyday Functional Impairment in Severe Mental Illness. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 2000; (109): 134-138. Pearlson G, Schretlen D, Jayaram G, et al. Brain MRI Changes in Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research. 1999; (36): 206-206. Jones BV, Jayaram G, Ingraham G, Samuels J, et al. Relating Competency Status to Functional Status at Discharge in the Chronically Mentally Ill. Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and Law. 1998; 26: 49-55. Jayaram G, Samuels J, Schretlen D, Gurny P. The Cognitive Limited Severely Mentally Ill: Concerns for Managed Care. Managed Care Quarterly 1997; (5): 28-34. Margolis RR, Harrison SA, Robinson HJ, Jayaram G. Occupational Therapy Task Observation Scale [OTTOS]: A new method for rating the functional capacity of psychiatric patients. American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 1996; (May): 380-385. Jayaram G, Tien A, Sullivan P, et al. Elements of a successful short stay service. Journal of Psychiatric Services (formerly Hospital and Community Psychiatry). 1996; (47): 407-412. Lehmann SW, Rabins PV. Jayaram G, Beyer V. Mental Health Needs of the Elderly Vary by Setting. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 1993; (1): 1. Jayaram G, Janofsky JS, Fischer PJ. The Emergency Petition Process in Maryland. Bulletin of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law. 1990; (18): 373-378. Strauss M, Reynolds K, Jayaram G, Tune L. Effects of Anticholinergic Medication on Memory in Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research. 1990; (3): 127-129. Pearlson G, Wong K, Kubos K, Mobert P, Jayaram G, Heyler G, Goldfinger A, Tune L. Ventricle-Brain Ratio, Computed Tomographic Destiny and Brain Area in 50 schizophrenics. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 1989; (46): 690-7. Rabins P, Pearlson G, Jayaram G, Steele C, Tune L. Increased ventricle-to-brain ratio in late-onset schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry. 1987; (144): 1216-1218. Jayaram G. International Journal of Neuroscience. 1987; (32): 685-685. Jayaram G, Coyle J, Tune L. Relapse in chronic schizophrenics treated with Fluphenazine Deaconate is associated with low serum neuroleptic levels. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 1986; (47): 247-248. Tune LE, Folstein MF, Rabins RB, Jayaram G, McHugh PR. Familial manic-depressive illness and Parkinson’s disease. A Case Report. Johns Hopkins Medical Journal.1982; (151): 65-70.
Pulia K., Gallegos J., Jayaram G., Reti I., ECT treatment outcomes following performance improvement changes. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 2013 Jul 12:1-6.
Performance Improvement: One Department of Psychiatry’s experience. Invited Commentary. J of Patient Safety. October 1, 2014.
Jayaram G., Inpatient Suicide Prevention: Promoting a Culture and System of Safety Over 30 Years of Practice . J of Psychiatric Practice, September 2014.