Laura Caulfield, PhD
- Division: Human Nutrition
Center & Institute Affiliations
615 North Wolfe St., W2041
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Cornell University, 1989
My research interests are in the area of maternal and infant nutrition and health.
Specific interests include:
1. epidemiology of poor pregnancy outcomes (e.g., miscarriage, low birth weight, preterm delivery, complications of labor and delivery), especially the role of maternal and fetal nutritional status in influencing parturition; 2. identification and evaluation of indicators of high-risk mothers and newborns; 3. short- and long-term consequences of poor prenatal and postnatal growth and development; breastfeeding and complementary feeding; 4. evaluation of nutrition interventions; 5. nutrition and health surveillance/information systems.
Honors and Awards
2000 The Avanelle Kirksey Lectureship, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. 1993 Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD. 1987 Doctoral Traineeship, Cornell University - NIH Maternal and Child Nutrition Training Grant, Ithaca, NY. 1986 National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant. 1985 Cornell University Latin American Studies Summer Fellowship Program for Pre-Doctoral Research at Centro Rosarino de Estudios Perinatales, Rosario, Argentina. 1984 Cornell University Center for International Studies Travel Grant. Cornell University Division of Nutritional Sciences Small Grant (2 awards). 1983 Grace Steininger Fellowship, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. 1982 General Mills Fellowship, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- international health
- nutrition, pregnancy
- maternal perinatal, neonatal and child health
- nutritional epidemiology
- child feeding
- child growth and development
- program evaluation
- early origins of adult disease
These are 5 papers that I care about.
- Merialdi M, Caulfield LE, Zavaleta N, Figueroa A, Dominici F, DiPietro JA. Randomized controlled trial of prenatal zinc supplementation and the development of fetal heart rate patterns. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004;190:1106-12. PMID:15118650.
- Caulfield LE, Zavaleta N, Chen P, Putnick D, DiPietro JA, Bornstein M. Maternal zinc supplementation during pregnancy affects autonomic function in Peruvian children at 4 ½ years of age. J Nutr 2011; 141(2):327-32. PMID:21178078.
- Patil CL, Turab A, Ambikapathi R*, Nesamvuni C, Chandyo RK, Bose A, Paredes Olortegui M, Lima de Moraes M, Islam M, Caulfield LE, on behalf of the MAL-ED Network. Early interruption of exclusive breastfeeding: results from the 8-country Mal-ED study. J Health Pop Nutr 2015 34:10 DOI 10.1186/s41043-015-0004-2.
- Sacco LM, Caulfield LE, Gittelsohn JG, Martinez Salgado H. The conceptualization of Perceived Insufficient Milk among Mexican mothers. J Hum Lact 2006; Aug;22(3):277-86. PMID:16885488.
- DiPietro JA, Millet S, Costigan KA, Gurewitsch E, Caulfield LE. Psychosocial influences on weight gain attitudes and behaviors during pregnancy. JADA 2003;103: 1314-1319. PMID:14520249.