Benjamin Caballero, MD
- Professor - Emeritus
- Division: Human Nutrition
- Population, Family and Reproductive Health (Joint)
Center & Institute Affiliations
- Center for Global Health
- Center for Human Nutrition
- The Johns Hopkins Global Obesity Prevention Center (GOPC)
615 N. Wolfe Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21205
PhD, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988
MSc, Institute of Nutrition of Central America and Panama, 1982
MD, University of Buenos Aires, 1976
Childhood obesity: risk factors for obesity in children at different ages, including dietary patterns, physical activity, and growth patterns during early life. Approaches for the prevention of obesity in children. Nutrient requirements, effects of diet on risk of chronic diseases. International nutrition: the nutrition transition in developing countries, the emergence of diet-related chronic, non-communicable diseases in developing countries.
Honors and Awards
1980 United Nations University Fellow
1983 National Institutes of Health (USA) Fellow
1992 Delta Omega Public Health Honor Society
1993 Who’s Who in Science
1994 Mead-Johnson/Bristol Myers Award
1999 First Prize, British Medical Association Medical Book competition, for Encyclopedia of Human Nutrition
2002 Distinguished Career Award, Spanish Society of Nutrition
2006 Ancel Keys Prize, International Public Health Nutrition
2009 Beaudette-Thompson Lectureship, Rutgers University
2012 Spanish Academy of Science in Nutrition
2014 Mataix Prize (Spain)
2014 Donald Medearis Lectureship, MGH/Harvard Medical School
2015 Latin American Prize in Nutrition, SLAN
2016 George Graham Centennial Lectureship, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Pediatric nutrition
- the nutrition transition
- child nutrition and health in developing countries
- childhood obesity
- malnutrition, body composition
- nutrient requirements
- diet and health
- international nutrition
- Letona, P., et al. (2014). "Formative research to develop a community-based intervention for chronic disease prevention in Guatemalan school-age children." BMC Public Health 14: 101.
- Franco, M., et al. (2013). "Population-wide weight loss and regain in relation to diabetes burden and cardiovascular mortality in Cuba 1980-2010: repeated cross sectional surveys and ecological comparison of secular trends." BMJ 346: f1515.
- Kanter, R. and B. Caballero (2012). "Global gender disparities in obesity: a review." Adv Nutr 3(4): 491-498.
- Chen, L., B. Caballero, et al. (2010). Reducing Consumption of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages Is Associated With Reduced Blood Pressure. A Prospective Study Among United States Adults. Circulation 121: 9.
- Torio, C. M., A. C. Klassen, et al. (2010). The Modifying Effect of Social Class on the Relationship Between Body Mass Index and Breast Cancer Incidence. Am J Public Health 100: 146-151.