Research and Professional Experience
Dr. Chen received his PhD from Dept. of Chemical Engineering at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque NM. His expertise lies in the interdisciplinary field of biology, nanotechnology and new analytical methods for genetics study. During his PhD study, he had coauthored 13 scientific papers in which his first authored paper “DNA translocation through an array of kinked nanopores” (which is also his PhD thesis work) was published in Nature Materials. He had research experience at Sandia National Laboratory and held a PostDoctoral research position in industry before he joined Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health as a staff researcher. His current research is in environmental toxins, epigenetics and biomarkers.
- Z. Chen, Y.B. Jiang, D.P. Adams, C. Hodges, NG Liu, N. Zhang, G. Xomeritakis, X Jin, N.R. Aluru and C.J. Brinker. DNA translocation through an array of kinked nanopores. Nature Materials, 2010, vol.9, p.667-675
- Martin, KE, Wang ZC, Busani T, Garcia RM, Chen Z, Jiang YB, Song YJ, Jacobsen JL, Vu TT, Schore NE and Shelnutt JA. Donor-acceptor biomorphs from the ionic self-assembly of porphyrins.J. of American Chem. Soc., 2010, vol.132, p.8194-201
- Xomeritakis, G; Liu, NG; Chen, Z; Jiang, YB; Kohn, R; Johnson, PE; Tsai, CY; et. al. Anodic alumina supported dual-layer microporous silica membranes. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE; 2007; v.287, no.2, p.157-161
- Jiang, YB; Xomeritakis, G; Chen, Z.; Dunphy, D; Kissel, DJ; Cecchi, JL; Brinker, CJ Sub-10 nm thick microporous membranes made by plasma-defined Atomic Layer Deposition of a bridged silsesquioxane precursor. J. of American Chem. Soc. 2007
- N. Patterson, V.C. Hodges, M.J. Vasile, Z. Chen, D.P. Adams and C.J. Brinker, Direct Focused Ion Beam drilling of nanopores. Focused Ion Beams for Analysis and Processing, edited by W. Moberly-Chan, H. Colijn, R. Langford, A. Marshall (Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 983E, Warrendale, PA, 2007), paper # 0983-LL05-05.
- Rodriguez, AT; Chen, M; Chen, Z; Brinker, CJ; Fan, HY Nanoporous carbon nanotubes synthesized through confined hydrogen-bonding self-assembly. J. of American Chem. Soc.; 2006; v.128, no.29, p.9276-9277
- Baca, HK; Ashley, C; Carnes, E; Lopez, D; Flemming, J; Dunphy, D; Singh, S; Chen, Z; Liu, NG; et. al. Cell-directed assembly of lipid-silica nanostructures providing extended cell viability. SCIENCE; 2006; v.313, no.5785, p.337-341
- Z. Chen et al. A novel design toward understanding and characterizing transport behavior of composite mesoporous silica thin film. Nanomanufacturing (Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 921E, Warrendale, PA, 2006), 0921-TO5-29.
- Hongyou Fan, Zhu Chen, C. Jeffrey Brinker, Jacalyn Clawson, and Todd Alam Synthesis of Organo-Silane Functionalized Nanocrystal Micelles and Their Self-Assembly. J. of American Chem Soc; 2005; v.127, no.40, p.13746 – 13747
- Ghosh, S; Banthia, AK; Chen, Z. Synthesis and photoresponsive study of azobenzene centered polyamidoamine dendrimers. TETRAHEDRON; 2005; v.61, no.11, p.2889-2896
- Liu, NG; Dunphy, DR; Atanassov, P; Bunge, SD; Chen, Z; Brinker, CJ. Photoregulation of mass transport through a photoresponsive azobenzene-modified nanoporous membrane. NANO LETTERS; 2004; v.4, no.4, p.551-554
- Gibaud, A; Grosso, D; Smarsly, B; Baptiste, A; Bardeau, JF; Babonneau, F; Doshi, DA; Chen, Z et al. Evaporation-controlled self-assembly of silica surfactant mesophases. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY B; 2003; v.107, no.25, p.6114-6118
- Liu, NG; Chen, Z; Dunphy, DR; Brinker, CJ. Photoresponsive nanocomposite formed by self-assembly of an azobenzene-modified silane. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION; 2003; v.42, no.15, p.1731-1734