Michelle Colder Carras
Year entered: 2015
PhD, Mental Health; 2015; Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
BA; 1987; Johns Hopkins University
Advisors: Tamar Mendelson, PhD and Peter Zandi, PhD
Research interests: Contextual influences associated with heavy use of technology and mental health, with an emphasis on the DSM-5 emerging measure of Internet gaming disorder.
- Griffiths, M. D., van Rooij, A. J., Kardefelt-Winther, D., Starcevic, V., Király, O., Pallesen, S., … Demetrovics, Z. (2016). Working towards an international consensus on criteria for assessing internet gaming disorder: a critical commentary on Petry et al. (2014). Addiction (Abingdon, England), 111(1), 167–175.
- Takayanagi, Y.; Spira, A.; Bienvenu, O.J.; Hock, R; Colder Carras, M., Eaton, W; Mojtabai, R. (2014) Antidepressant Use and Lifetime History of Mental Disorders in a Community Sample: Results from the Baltimore Epidemiological Catchment Area Study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2015 Jan;76(1):40-4.
- Carras, M. C., Mojtabai, R., Furr-Holden, C. D., Eaton, W., & Cullen, B. A. M. (2014). Use of mobile phones, computers and internet among clients of an inner-city community psychiatric clinic. Journal of Psychiatric Practice, 20(2), 94–103.
- Claassen, C. A., Pearson, J. L., Khodyakov, D., Satow, P. M., Gebbia, R., Berman, A. L., … Insel, T. R. (2014). Reducing the burden of suicide in the u.s.: the aspirational research goals of the national action alliance for suicide prevention research prioritization task force. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 47(3), 309–314.
- Colder Carras, M. (2015). Re: Plenty of moustaches but not enough women: cross sectional study of medical leaders. The BMJ. Retrieved from http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h6311/rr-2
- Johnson, D., Jones, C., Scholes, L., & Colder Carras, M. (2013). Videogames and wellbeing: A comprehensive review. Melbourne: Young and Well Cooperative Research Center.
- Jones, C., Scholes, L., Johnson, D., Katsikitis, M., & Carras, M. C. (2014). Gaming well: links between videogames and flourishing mental health. Developmental Psychology, 5, 260.
- Pennebaker, J. W., Colder, M., & Sharp, L. K. (1990). Accelerating the coping process. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 58(3), 528–537. (as Michelle Colder)
Year entered: 2015
PhD; 2010; Karolinska Institute, Sweden
MPH; 2000; Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
MD; 1992; Iran University of Medical Sciences
Advisor: Judith K. Bass, PhD
Research interests: Cross cultural depression and mental health intervention.
- Roshanfekr P, Noori R, Dejman M, Geshnigani ZF, Rafiey H. Drug Use and Sex Work Among At-risk Women: A Qualitative Study of Initial Factors. Iranian journal of psychiatry and behavioral sciences. 2015; 9(2). PMID: 26288649
- M Dejman, M Vameqhi, F Dejman, P Roshanfekr, H Rafiey, AS Forouzan. Substance use Among Street Children in Tehran, Iran. International Journal of Travel Medicine and Global Health, 2015; 3 (1), 23-26.
- Moradi G, Mohraz M, Gouya MM, Dejman M, Seyedalinaghi SA, , Khoshravesh S , Malekafzali Ardakani H. Health Needs of People Living with HIV/AIDS: From the Perspective of Policy Makers, Physicians and Consultants, and People Living with HIV/AIDS. Iranian Journal of Public Health, 2014; 43(10), 1424-1435. PMID: 26060705.
- Forouzan AS, Rafeiey H, Padyab M, Ghazinour M, Dejman M, Sebastian MS, Reliability and validity of a Mental Health System Responsiveness Questionnaire in Iran, Global Health Action, 2014, 7, Glob Health Action. 2014; 7: 24748 .doi.org/10.3402/gha.v7.24748, PMID: 25079288.
- Mohammadi F, Eftekhari MB, Dejman M, Forouzan AS, MirabzadehA. Seeking comfort: Women mental health process in I. R. Iran: A grounded theory study. International Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2014; 5(2):217-223. PMID: 24627750.
- Mirabzadeh A, Forouzan AS, Mohammadi F, Dejman M, Baradaran Eftekhari M. How Iranian women conceptualize mental health: An explanatory model. Iranian Journal of Public Health, 2014; 43(3):342-348. PMID: 25988094.
- Roshanfekr P, Farnia M, DejmanM*1 . The effectiveness of harm reduction programs in seven prisons of Iran. Iranian Journal of Public Health, 2014; 42(12):1430-1437. PMID: 26060645. 1* Corresponding author
- Forouzan SA, Ghazinour M, Dejman M, Rafeiey H, BaradaranEftekhari M, San Sebastian M. Service users and providers expectations of mental health care in Iran: A qualitative study. Iranian Journal of Public Health, 2013; 42(10):1106-1116. PMID: 26060618.
- Falahat K, Eftekhari MB, Malekafzali H, Forouzan AS, Dejman M*.Governance in community based health programs in I.R of Iran. Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, 2013; 63(2):211-215. PMID:23894897.
- Dejman M, Forouzan AS, Ekblad S. Adapting research to local contexts based on the model of Campinha-Bacote for cultural competence: A case scenario of 3 ethnic groups in the Islamic Republic of Iran. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, 2012:18(11):1166-1169.PubMed ID:23301380.
- Dejman M, Forouzan AS, Assari S, Malekafzali H, Nohesara S, Khatibzadeh N, Falahat K, EkbladS. An explanatory model of depression among female patients in Fars, Kurds, Turks ethnic groups of Iran. Iranian Journal of Public Health, 2011; 40(3):79-88.
- Forouzan A, Ghazinour M, Dejman M, Rafeiey H, Sebastian M. Testing the WHO responsiveness concept in the Iranian mental healthcare system: A qualitative study of service users. BMC Health Services Research, 2011; 11(325).PubMed ID: 22115499.
- Dejman M, SetarehForouzan A, Assari S, Rasoulian M, Jazayery A, Malekafzali H, BaradaranEftekhari M, Falahat K, EkbladS. How Iranian lay people in three ethnic groups conceptualize a case of a depressed woman: An explanatory model. Ethnicity and Health, 2010; 15(5):475-493.PubMed ID: 20694866.
- Lavis JN, Guindon GE, Cameron D, Boupha B, Dejman M, Osei EJA, SadanaR. Bridging the gaps between research, policy and practice in low- and middle-income countries: A survey of researchers.CMAJ,2010;182(9):E350-E361.PubMed ID:20439449.
- Dejman M, Forouzan A, Assari S, Farahani M, MalekAfzali H, Rostami M, Farnam A, Akbari M, Taraghi M, Ekblad S. Clinicians’ view of experience of assessing and following up depression among women in IR Iran. World Cultural Psychiatry Research Review, 2009; 4(2):74-88.
Year entered: 2014
BS, Statistics; 2008; Chung-Ang University, Seoul, South Korea
MS, Biostatistics; 2010; Harvard University
PhD, Biostatistics; 2013; University of Minnesota
Advisor: Elizabeth A. Stuart, PhD
Research interests: Propensity score, measurement error, causal inference, hierarchical Bayesian modeling, personalized medicine, comparative effectiveness research, patient-centered outcome, network meta-analysis, clinical trial data analysis, missing data.
Year entered: 2015
PhD, Psychology; The University of Queensland, Australia; 2015
Advisor: William W. Eaton, PhD
Research interests: Lifespan epidemiological approach to anxiety disorders; cognitive and neuropsychological features of anxiety; evolutionary approaches to anxiety; emotions and emotional disorders.
- Miloyan, B., & Bulley, A. (expected 2017). Worry in later life. In N.A. Pachana (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Geropsychology.
- Miloyan, B., & Pachana, N. A. (in press). Clinical significance of individual GAD symptoms. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology.
- Miloyan, B.*, Bulley, A.,* & Suddendorf, T. (2015). Episodic foresight and anxiety: Proximate and ultimate perspectives. British Journal of Clinical Psychology.
- Miloyan, B., & Pachana, N. A. (2015). Clinical significance of worry and physical symptoms in late-life GAD. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry.
- Miloyan, B., & Suddendorf, T. (2015). Feelings of the future. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 19, 196-200.
- Miloyan, B., Byrne, G. J., & Pachana, N. A. (2015). Threshold and sub-threshold Generalized Anxiety Disorder in later life. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 23, 633-641.
- Miloyan, Byrne & Pachana (2014). Late-life anxiety. In N.A. Pachana & K. Laidlaw (Eds.). Oxford handbook of clinical geropsychology: International perspectives (pp. 470-489). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Miloyan, Pachana & Suddendorf (2014). The future is here: A review of foresight systems in anxiety and depression. Cognition & Emotion, 28, 795-810.
- Razani et al. (2014). The effects of declining functional abilities in dementia patients and increases in psychological distress on caregiver burden over a one-year period. Clinical Gerontologist, 37, 235-252.
- Miloyan, B., Byrne, G. J., & Pachana, N. A. (2014). Age-related changes in Generalized Anxiety Disorder Symptoms. International Psychogeriatrics, 26, 565-572.
- Miloyan, B., Razani, J., Larco, A., Avila, J., & Chung, J. (2013). Aspects of attention predict real-world task performance in Alzheimer’s disease. Applied Neuropsychology, 20, 203-210.
Year entered: 2015
PhD, Mental Health; 2015; Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
MSPH, International Health - Social and Behavioral Interventions; 2011; Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
BA, Government and African Studies; 2006; College of William and Mary
Advisor: Judith Bass, PhD
Research interests: Global mental health, primary and tertiary prevention of intimate partner and sexual violence, caregiver mental health and child well-being, mixed methods research
- Murray, S.M., Robinette, K., Bolton, P., Cetinoglu, T., Murray, L.K., Annan, J., Bass, J.K. (In press) Stigma among survivors of sexual violence in Congo: Scale development and psychometrics. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.
- W. Weiss, L. Murray, G. Zangana, Z. Mahmooth, D. Kaysen, S. Dorsey, K. Lindgren, A. Gross, S. Murray, J. Bass, P. Bolton. (In press) Community-based mental health treatments for survivors of torture and militant attacks in Southern Iraq: a randomized control trial. BMC Psychiatry.
- Burkey, M, Murray, SM, Bangirana, P, Familiar, I, Opoka, RO, Nakasujja, N, Boivin, M, Bass J. (2015). Executive function and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Ugandan children with perinatal HIV exposure. Global Mental Health; 2(e4)
- Familiar, I., Nakasujja, N., Bass, J., A, Ruisenor, H., Murray, SM., Bangirana, P., Opoka, B., Boivin, M. (2015). Caregivers’ depressive symptoms and parent-report of child executive function among infants in Uganda. Journal of Learning and Individual Differences.
- Hall BJ, Murray SM, Galea S, Canetti D, Hobfoll SE. (2014) Loss of social resources predicts incident posttraumatic stress disorder during ongoing political violence within the Palestinian Authority. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol.,15;1–8.
- Bolton P, Bass JK, Zangana G, Kamal T, Murray S, Kaysen D, et al. (2014) A randomized controlled trial of mental health interventions for survivors of systematic violence in Kurdistan, Northern Iraq. BMC Psychiatry, 41(1):1693.
- Bass, J.K., Annan, J., Murray, S.M., Kaysen, D., Griffiths, S., Cetinoglu, T., Wachter, K., Murray, L., Bolton, P.A. (2013) Controlled Trial of Psychotherapy for Congolese Survivors of Sexual Violence. New England Journal of Medicine, 368(23), 2182-2191. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1211853.
- Doocy, S., Daniels, A., Murray, S., & Kirsch, T. (2013). The Human Impacts of Flood: a Historical Review of Events 1980- 2009 and Systematic Literature Review. PLOS Currents Disasters. Edition 1. doi: 10.1371/currents.dis.f4deb457904936b07c09daa98ee8171a.
Year entered: 2015
MD, Medical Doctorate; 2011; New York Medical College
BS, Neuroscience and Biology; 2003; Brandeis University
Advisor: Ramin Mojtabai, MD and William W. Eaton, PhD
Research interests: Anxiety disorders, suicide risk factors, and interface between psychiatrists and primary care physicians. My fellowship is focused on examining the characteristics of suicide completion that may be identified in the Maryland medical examiner’s suicide database, when cross referenced with the patients who visit the Johns Hopkins psychiatric emergency service.
- Nestadt, P.S., Speed, T.J., Keefe, F. J. and Dimsdale, J. E. 2016. “Stress and psychiatry”. In Kaplan and Sadock's comprehensive textbook of psychiatry, , 9th ed., Edited by: Sadock, B. J. and Sadock, V. A. [IN PRESS]. Philadelphia: Lippincott.
- Nestadt, P.S., Bienvenu, O.J., & Koenig, T.W. (2015). Psychiatry For The Internist. In The Johns Hopkins Internal Medicine Board Review (5th ed.). Philadelphia: Elsevier.[IN PRESS]
- Nestadt PS, Jamison KR. Mania. The Johns Hopkins Psychiatry Guide. Johns Hopkins POC-IT Center (Johns Hopkins Point of Care Information Technology Center), Baltimore, MD. November 2014.
- Friedman MB and Nestadt PS. "Depressed or Demoralized?" The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 18 Apr. 2013. Web.
- Peters ME, Nestadt P, Chisolm MS. Voices Coming From Facebook. Current Psychiatry. 2013 Feb:2(12):30.
- Haglund, M., Nestadt, P., Cooper, N.S., Southwick, S., & Charney, D.S. (2008). The Neurobiology of Resilience. In D. Charney & E. Nestler (Eds.), Neurobiology of Mental Illness, 3rd edition (pp.1387-1409). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Murrough JW, Mao X, Collins KA, Kelly C, Andrade G, Nestadt P, Levine SM, Mathew SJ, Shungu DC. Increased ventricular lactate in chronic fatigue syndrome measured by (1)H MRS imaging at 3.0 T. II: comparison with major depressive disorder. NMR Biomed. 2010 Jul;23(6):643-50.
- Haglund ME, aan het Rot M, Cooper NS, Nestadt PS, Muller D, Southwick SM, Charney DS. Resilience in the third year of medical school: a prospective study of the associations between stressful events occurring during clinical rotations and student well-being. Acad Med. 2009 Feb;84(2):258-68.
- Price RB, Shungu DC, Mao X, Nestadt P, Kelly C, Collins KA, Murrough JW, Charney DS, Mathew SJ. Amino acid neurotransmitters assessed by proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy: relationship to treatment resistance in major depressive disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2009 May 1;65(9):792-800. Epub 2008 Dec 5.
- Haglund MA, Nestadt PS, Cooper NS, Southwick SM, Charney DS. Psychobiological Mechanisms of Resilience: Relevance to Prevention and Treatment of Stress-Related Psychopathology. Dev Psychopathol. 2007 Summer;19(3):889-920.
Bo Y. Park
Year entered: 2015
PhD, Epidemiology; 2015; Drexel University
MPH, Clinical Evaluative Science; 2007; Dartmouth College
BA, Molecular Cell Biology; 2005; UC Berkeley
Advisor: M. Daniele Fallin, PhD and Heather Volk, PhD
Research interests: Modifiable prenatal exposures and neurodevelopmental outcomes.
- Park BY, Lee BK. Use of Meconium in Perinatal Epidemiology: Potential Benefits and Pitfalls, Annals of Epidemiology(2014), doi:10.1016/j.annepidem.2014.09.009.
- Yao R, Ananth CV, Park BY, Pererira L, Plante LA. Obesity and the risk of stillbirth: a population-based cohort study. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2014; 210:
- Woskie, S. R., Kim, H., Freund, A., Stevenson, L., Park, B. Y., Baron, S., Herbert, R., de Hernández, M. S., Teitelbaum, S., de la Hoz, R. E., Wisnivesky, J. P. and Landrigan, P. (2011), World Trade Center Disaster: Assessment of Responder Occupations, Work Locations, and Job Tasks. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 54: 681–695
Kathryn Van Eck
Year entered: 2014
Ph.D., Clinical-Community Psychology Doctoral Program, University of South Carolina, 2014
MA, Psychological Sciences - Clinical Concentration, James Madison University, 2008
BM, Voice Performance, Indiana University School of Music, 2000
Advisor: Nicholas Ialongo, PhD
Research interests: I am interested in identify individual and environmental predictors of risk behavior and negative outcomes for youth with disruptive behavior. Another interest is identifying ways to support adolescents and their families in increasing engagement in health and mental health care as well as exploring ways to link health care services to the school context to improve access to services.
- Van Eck, K., Flory, K. & Willis, D. (2014, in press). Distress tolerance moderates the association between ADHD symptoms and number of casual sex partners. ADHD Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder.
- Van Eck, K., Markle, R. S., Dattilo, L., & Flory, K. (2014, in press). Peer tolerance and conduct problems in college mediate the relation between ADHD symptoms and substance use. The Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Van Eck, K., Ballard, E., Newcomer, A., Hart, S., Musci, R., & Flory, K. (2014, in press). The role of emotion regulation in the association of ADHD to Depression and suicide ideation. Journal of Attention Disorders. doi:10.1177/1087054713518238
- Mancil, E., Bird, J., Lyon, M., Van Eck, K., & Smith, B. (2013). Considering positive psychology constructs of life satisfaction and school connectedness when assessing symptoms related to Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. The Journal of Human Sciences & Extension, 1, 63-77.
- Dattilo, L., Murphy, G. K., Flory, K., & Van Eck, K. (2013). Does ADHD moderate the relation between positive alcohol expectancies and alcohol-related outcomes? ADHD Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder, 5, 93-104. doi:10.1007/s12402-012-0098-y
- Van Eck, K., Flory, K., & Malone, P. S. (2013). A longitudinal assessment of the associations among response access, ADHD symptoms, and aggression during childhood. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 41, 613-625. doi: 10.1007/s10802-012-9702-z
- Van Eck, K., Markle, R., & Flory, K. (2012). Do conduct problems and sensation-seeking moderate the association between ADHD and three types of stimulant use in a college population? The Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26, 939-947. doi: 10.1037/a0027431
- Van Eck, K., Finney, S. J., & Evans, S. W. (2010). Parent response of ADHD symptoms: A confirmatory factor analysis. Education & Psychological Measurement, 70, 1042-1059. doi:10.1177/0013164410378093
- Malone, P. S., Van Eck, K., Flory, K., & Lamis, D. (2010). A mixture-model approach to linking ADHD to adolescent onset of illicit substance use. Developmental Psychology, 46, 1543-1555. doi: 10.1037/a0020549
- Evans, S. W., Schultz, B., White, C. L., Brady, C. E., Sibley, M. H., & Van Eck, K. (2009). A school-based organization intervention for young adolescents with ADHD: Patterns of responding. Journal of School Mental Health, 1, 78-88. doi: 10.1007/s12310-009-9009-6