A Message from Our New Chair
Dear Alumni and Friends:
I’m very excited to start my first academic year as the Chair of International Health. It’s already been a busy year. Two IH centers appointed new directors (Tom Kirsch, Center for Refugee and Disaster Response and Kate O’Brien, International Vaccine Access Center, IVAC). We recently wrapped up a successful Alumni Week, culminating in the Department-led Johns Hopkins Vaccine Day, with keynote speaker Bruce Aylward, WHO, Assistant Director-General—Polio, Emergencies and Country Collaboration.
Our new master’s and doctoral students are proving to be up to the challenge. I hope they’ll stay connected to our Hopkins community after graduation, just as you have. On that note, I would like to try to facilitate more connections between you and our current students. We’ve already taken some small steps to highlight student research. For example, you can go here to read about recent Center for Global Health Field Placement award winners.
And, we have published two alumni brochures to help prospective and current students learn about alumni, and for alumni to learn about each other. Our Department alumni brochure profiles grads from each program area; the other features Health Systems graduates. Other program brochures will follow soon.
Two of our graduates also recently won Johns Hopkins Alumni Association awards. Our congratulations go to:
- Abdul Ghaffar, PhD ’01, Knowledge for the World Award. Dr. Ghaffar is currently the Executive Director of The Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research, WHO.
- Daniel Salmon, PhD ’03, Outstanding Recent Graduate Award. Dr. Salmon recently joined our faculty as an associate professor.
Of course, there are innumerable examples of successful alumni I could point out. Below are just a few more I’ve learned about:
- Hamam Hadi, MS, ScD ’98, founding Director and Professor, Alma Ata School of Allied Health Sciences, Yogyakarta, Indonesia and Professor of Nutrition the University of Gadjah Mada, Yogjakarta, Indonesia.
- Preety Gadhoke, PhD ‘12, MPH, Assistant Professor/Industry Professional, St. John’s University.
- Robert Dreibelbis, PhD ’13, Assistant Professor, Anthropology and the School of Civil Engineering and Environmental Science, University of Oklahoma.
- Shefa Sikder, MHS’ 10 and PhD ’13, Technical Advisor for Research at USAID. You can read about her as a student here.
- Brandon Brown, PhD ’11, Lecturer and Director of Global Health Research, Education, and Translation at the University of California Irvine. He was also featured in the latest University of California magazine.
- Tolbert G. Nyenswah, Esq, BSc, LLB, MPH ‘12, is Assistant Minister of Health & Social Welfare/Deputy Chief Medical Officer-Preventive Services, Liberia and an Associate in the Department. He spoke to the School last year about his career in public health.
I would love to hear your ideas about new ways of sharing our alumni successes with our students and with the broader global health community. I think we all have much to learn from you.
To learn more about the new chair, read an interview published in the Department's Globe magazine.
Contact for the Department of International Health: Brandon Howard at 410-502-9059 or email@example.com.