Certificate Curriculum & Requirements
The certificate requires a minimum of 21 credits, including four required courses, the practicum, and at least six credits of elective courses. Students should contact the faculty sponsor as early as possible to discuss the practicum. The certificate courses for the 2013-14 academic year are listed in the table below. **Please note that the curriculum is being updated for the 2014-15 academic year and will be posted upon approval.
Required Courses: Students must complete the following required courses and practicum:
- 309.712 Assessing Health Status and Patient Outcomes (3 credits, 2nd term online)
- 309.730 Patient Safety and Medical Errors (3 credits, 3rd term online, SI on campus)
- 311.615 Quality of Medical Care (3 credits, 1st term online)
- 312.693 Introduction to Comparative Effectiveness and Outcomes Research (3 credits, 1st term online, 3rd term on campus)
- TBA Certificate in Quality, Safety, and Outcomes Research Practicum (3 credits)
Elective Courses: Students must complete at least six credits from the following elective courses. Students may wish to concentrate on one domain or select courses from several domains.
Elective Courses: Domain 1: Quality of Care
- 221.722 Quality Assurance Management Methods for Developing Countries (4 credits, 1st term online and on campus)
- 309.845 Palliative and Hospice Care: Quality of Care and Health Policy (Winter Institute on campus)
Elective Courses: Domain 2: Patient Safety
- 309.731 Patient Safety in Developing Countries (2 credits, SI on campus)
- 309.732 Organizational and Human Factors in Patient Safety (3 credits, Course cancelled for the 13/14 academic year)
- 312.678 Introduction to Healthcare Quality and Patient Safety from the Management Perspective (2 credits, 3rd term on campus)
Elective Courses: Domain 3: Outcomes Research
- 313.790 Economic Evaluation I (3 credits, 2nd term online)
- 313.631 Economic Evaluation II (4 credits, 3rd term campus)
- 313.632 Economic Evaluation III (3 credits, 4th term campus)
Elective Courses: Domain 4: Health Care Management Informatics
- 551.601 Managing Health Services Organizations (4 credits, 3rd term online)
- 309.631 Population Health Informatics (3 credits, 2nd term online)
SI= Course is offered in the Summer Institute held in June and July in Baltimore; WI= Course is offered in the Winter Institute held in January in Baltimore/Washington, DC.
Requirements for Successful Completion
All required and elective courses must be taken for a letter grade and a 3.0 or better overall GPA for all certificate courses is required. Requirements must be completed within a three-year period.
The student must submit a Notification of Completion to the certificate's administrative contact after completing all of the certificate requirements. The student's transcript will not indicate that the certificate was earned until the Notification of Completion has been submitted, verified by the certificate program, and processed by the Registrar's Office.