223.672.81 DATA MGMT METHODS IN HEALTH RESEARCH STUDIES
- International Health
- 4th term
- 5 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2013 - 2014
- Grading Restriction:
- Letter Grade or Pass/Fail
- Course Instructor:
Introduction to Online Learning is required prior to participating in any of the School's Internet-based courses.
Presents data management techniques needed to implement a health research study in domestic and international settings. Discusses methods of designing and monitoring patient data flow, with an emphasis on data collection, editing, documentation, management, and preparation for analysis using database software packages. Involves lectures and completion of a tutorial designed to build data management skills. Geared to students preparing to undertake research.
- Learning Objectives:
- Develop a coding guide for a data collection instrument
- Edit collected data and document edit decisions
- Design a double data entry system
- Design a system to identify out-of-range and illogical values, document the related edit decisions, and produce a cleaned data table in preparation for analysis
- Prepare administrative reports
- Prep data for analysis
- Evaluate an operations manual for a research study
- Evaluate questionnaires for format, design, content, wording, coding, etc.
- Methods of Assessment:
Student evaluation based on problem sets and class participation.
- Instructor Consent:
No consent required
- Special Comments: