312.664.01 Interest-Based Negotiation: Preparation Analysis and Practice
- Health Policy and Management
- 4th term
- 2 credits
- Academic Year:
- 2012 - 2013
- East Baltimore
- Fri 04/12/2013 - Sat 04/13/2013
- Class Times:
- Friday, 1:30 - 7:30pm
- Saturday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Introduces the elements of interest-based negotiation and assists participants in developing the skills used in this negotiation model. Specific topics included are: the elements of interest-based negotiation, assessing a negotiation, communication skills for the negotiator, the human aspects of negotiation -- building or repairing interpersonal relationships, the use of negotiation as a conflict management tool, and discovering personal conflict handling skills. Many interactions associated with health care delivery, from contracting for services to delivering individual patient care, are a series of negotiations. The cases and examples used in this program will be drawn from actual experiences of the instructors in clinical and health care management settings, e.g. conflict among members of the health care team, provider/patient conflict, negotiation in a cost reduction environment, health care system mergers, and managed care contracting. The teaching methods will include didactic p
- Learning Objectives:
- Insight into their preferred styles of conflict management, and an appreciation for a variety of approaches and options which are open to them and the basis upon which to select one over another.
- Discussing a tested model for negotiating differences and conflicts which emphasizes discovering of interests – ours and theirs – and the joint pursuit of mutual gain rather than excessive competitiveness and self absorption.
- Skill building resultant from participation in case analysis and role playing within realistic situations of conflict.
- Methods of Assessment:
Student evaluation based on class participation and written analysis.
- Instructor Consent:
Consent required for all students
- Consent Note:
Consent is required because of enrollment maximum.
- For consent, contact: