Free PH Software Programs
Other PH SW Websites
- Epi Inf Epi Info is a complete system for word processing, data entry, database management, analysis, and public health statistics. Facilities are provided for importing and exporting a variety of file types. It is easy to use for epidemiologic investigations. Epi Info is produced by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)and the World Health Organization (WHO). Contains EpiMap for making maps and for combining data sets with maps.
- EpiSurv is a generator of epidemiologic applications and health information systems. It is ideal for surveillance as it manages large data bases, works in a network, provides security options, produces graphics, and links with Word for printing. Data imports/exports are rapid. Optimized indexes yield high speed analysis. A recoding module permits detection of duplications. Texts are in French.
- EpiData is a comprehensive yet simple tool for documented data entry but NOT for analysis. EpiData is free and currently developed for Windows 95/98/NT/2000. (Works on PowerMac with emulator)
- Electronic Mass Casualty Assessment & Planning Scenarios (EMCAPS) can model disaster scenarios for drill planning and to use as an education resource. The EMCAPS Model allows you to estimate casualties from biological (Anthrax, Plague, Food Contamination), chemical (blister, nerve and toxic agents) radiological (dirty bomb) or explosive (IED) attacks, based on the Department of Homeland Security Planning Scenarios (April 2005)
- Electronic Preventive Services Selector (ePSS) is a quick hands-on tool designed to help primary care clinicians identify the screening, counseling, and preventive medication services that are appropriate for their patients. The ePSS is available both as a PDA application and a web-based tool.
- CoCASA: Comprehensive Clinic Assessment Software Application is a tool for assessing immunization practices within a clinic, private practice, or any other environment where immunizations are provided. It has data entry and import capabilities. After immunization data have been entered, analysis can pinpoint strengths and areas of improvement for an individual immunization provider. CoCASA is designed to assist the implementation of the AFIX strategy..
- AnSWR is a software system for coordinating and conducting large-scale, team-based analysis projects that integrate qualitative and quantitative techniques.
- MAP MAKER Basic is a simple Geographical Information System (GIS) for non-expert users to create and manipulate maps on personal computers with basic system requirements. Using a variety of tools you can navigate around the map, measure distances and areas, draw polygons, lines and symbols, and display and edit data. Map Maker can print maps directly on to any printer or plotter supported by Windows or can export images for inclusion in documents produced on compatible Windows word processors.
- SUMA: The flood of relief supplies that arrive in the aftermath of large-scale disasters often pose serious logistic and management problems for national authorities. SUMA is a tool for the management of humanitarian relief supplies, from the time pledges are made by donors to their entry into the disaster area and their storage and distribution.
- LOGISTICS SUPPORT SYSTEM (SSL) can improve the management of humanitarian aid in emergencies, by strengthening the national capacity to manage effectively the humanitarian supplies, bringing them to the affected people in an adequate and convenient way. Setting up the LSS system in emergency situations will enable reports to be prepared that can be shared with donors, authorities in a disaster - stricken country, humanitarian agencies and the media. LSS provides national authorities, UN agencies and other coordinating bodies with an overall picture of what has been pledged and what has arrived for a specific emergency.
- CLUSTER: This software help a researcher determine if there is a statistically significant chance that a disease cluster occurred other than by random phenomenon. The user must have familiarity with cluster investigation and analysis before attempting to use this software. The software includes 12 statistical methods that analyze the significance of a cluster using techniques that evaluate, time, space, and both time and space clustering.
- IMPS: Integrated Microcomputer Processing System performs the major tasks in survey and census data processing: data entry, data editing, tabulation, data dissemination, statistical analysis and data capture control which can be used as a complete processing system or as stand-alone modules. Developed by a team at the U.S. Census Bureau.
- PAS: Population Analysis Spreadsheets consists of 45 spreadsheets for population analysis, e.g. adjusting any population total by sex to a given age structure. Developed by the U.S. Census Bureau. The PAS documentation is contained in the second volume of the manual Population Analysis with Microcomputers.
- Household Registration System (HRS) is a computer system for the automated generation of database software for longitudinal survival studies developed by the Population Council has developed the Household Registration System
- RUP: Rural/Urban Projection can be used for projecting the population of one or two areas (usually urban and rural areas) simultaneously. There are two options: (a) to project each of the areas and obtain the total as an aggregate, or (b) to project the total and one area and obtain the other area by subtraction. Developed by the U.S. Census Bureau . Effective policymaking support software from ConstellaFutures group.
- Spectrum POLICY Project Software, a modeling system, consolidates several utilities into an integrated package, including:
- DemProj: makes demographic projections;
- FamPlan: projects family planning requirements needed to reach national goals to address unmet need or achieve desired fertility;
- AIM : AIDS Impact Model, projects the consequences of the HIV/AIDS epidemic (number of people living with HIV/AIDS, new infections, AIDS deaths by age and sex, cases of tuberculosis and AIDS orphans);
- RAPID: Resources for the Awareness of Population Impacts on Development, projects the social and economic consequences of high fertility and rapid population growth for labor, education, health, urbanization, and agriculture;
- PMTCT: Prevention of Maternal-to-Child Transmission, evaluates costs and benefits of intervention programs to reduce transmission of HIV from mother to child;
- Lives Saved Tool (LiST- Child Survival). A program to project the changes in child survival in accordance with changes in coverage of different child health interventions--(also, see );
- Safe Motherhood Model. Estimates the impact of various scores from the Maternal-Neonatal Program Index (MNPI) on a country’s maternal mortality ratio. The MNPI is an index of 81 indicators for national efforts to improve maternal and neonatal health services. The model helps managers to gain a better understanding of the impacts of policies, budgets, and service delivery improvements on maternal health outcomes;
- Allocate examines the linkages and interactions among three main areas of a representative reproductive health action plan (RHAP): family planning, safe motherhood, and postabortion care. Allocate also shows the interactive impacts of changing decisions about levels of funding;
- HIV Vaccine. This model explores the impact of potential HIV vaccines on the epidemic.
- Pipeline helps program managers gather critical forecasting information, ensure that products arrive on time, maintain consistent stock levels at the program or national level, and prevent stockouts
- Research, Statistics, Data & Systems of CMS, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- MassCHIP - Massachusetts Community Health Information Profile includes public health data sets and calculates counts, proportions, rates, and ratios for the Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Questionnaire Programming Language (QPL): automates gathering and preparing survey data for analysis, creates computer-aided telephone interview (CATI) or data-entry programs, and builds web-based questionnaires. Government Accounting Office
- Family Planning Program Monitoring and Evaluation System (FPPMES) - Customized spreadsheet for Lotus 1-2-3-Version 5.0 (Windows) or Excel 97 that converts quarterly contraceptive supply data, population size and growth rate information into estimates of couple years of protection (CYP) and contraceptive prevalence rates (CPR). John Snow International/USAID.
- Hospital Recurrent Cost Projection Model - Customized spreadsheet in Quattro Pro 6 (Windows) that uses basic attributes such as size, capital costs, specialty mix, intensity of use, etc. to projects costs based on a set of alternative norms. Management Sciences for Health Downloadable Software
- Downloadable software from the U.S. Census Bureau:
- Extract Software - General purpose data display and extraction tool that works with Census Bureau CD-ROMs recorded in dBASE format - (for: IBM-PC's and compatibles with CD-ROM player)
- VPLX Software - Variance Estimation for Complex Samples (for IBM-PC's and compatibles and UNIX [Sun/Solaris])
- CSPro (Census and Survey Processing System) is a public-domain software package for entering, tabulating and mapping census and survey data.
- IMPS software - The Integrated Microcomputer Processing System (IMPS) software performs the major tasks of census and survey processing. * Ferret Data - Data Extraction and review tool.
- Demographic and Health Surveys--data on health, population, HIV, and nutrition from more than 200 surveys in 75 countries.
Data (available for free)
STATcompiler provides quick facts and country comparisons, allowing users to build customized tables from hundreds of DHS surveys and indicators.
STATmapper creates maps from STATcompiler data in more than 75 countries.
HIV/AIDS Survey Indicators Database provides HIV/AIDS data from a variety of sources.
HIVmapper creates maps from data in the HIV/AIDS Survey Indicators Database.
HIV Spatial Data Repository for downloading GIS dataset linked with HIV indicators
Request Data: Request one or more datasets from our surveys for your research.
Other Websites with Free PH Software
Healthcare Freeware: software programs that provide electronic calculators, unit conversion tools and statistical utilities
Health Manager's Toolkit: An electronic compendium by Management Sciences for Health of many management tools for health and family planning programs
Brixton Health Website: Free public health software programs
Public Health Statistical and Mapping Software Sites (many, many) by Betty C. Jung, RN, MPH--
Statistical/Data Resources, maintained by S.M. Public Health Library, U. California--
Epidemiological software and tools, maintained by UNAIDS
Resources for Methods in Evaluation and Social Research, maintained by Gene Shackman, Applied Sociologist
Free Statistical Software, compiled by John C. Pezzullo
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) databases and softwares.
Health and Human Services (HHS) multiple softwares [search]
World Health Organization (WHO) softwares--DISMOD II and MODMATCH for burden of disease analysis.
Wikipedia lists of