The goal of the MPH degree is to provide trainees with knowledge and skills central to the practice of occupational and environmental medicine.
Our students undergo an exceptional educational experience as MPH students at the Bloomberg School, which is the oldest and largest school of public health in the world.
They routinely study in a multidisciplinary environment that includes occupational nurses, industrial hygienists, safety professionals and preventive medicine residents. They work with world-renowned faculty and a diverse student body, gaining the skills and knowledge necessary to prepare them to become leaders in occupational and environmental medicine—and to further advance the effort to eliminate disease and disability.
The curriculum takes full advantage of the depth and breadth of faculty and courses at the Bloomberg School. The core curriculum includes:
- Fundamentals of Occupational Health
- Clinical Environmental and Occupational Toxicology
- Occupational Health (worksite inspection) course
- Principles Of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene
- Public Health Toxicology
- Environmental Health
- Occupational Medicine Seminar series
- Principles of Occupational Safety
- Introduction to Ergonomics
There are also MPH required courses (e.g., epidemiology, biostatistics and management). The epidemiology and biostatistics offerings in the Bloomberg School are particularly rich and residents are encouraged to complete as many of these courses as possible, with a minimum of two courses in each.
Fundamentals of Clinical Preventive Medicine is also required.
Required courses are augmented by a wide variety of electives including:
- Public Health Practice
- Introduction to Radiation Health Sciences
- Epidemiology of Injuries
- Molecular Biology of Carcinogenesis
- Toxicokinetics, Molecular Epidemiology and Biomarkers in Public Health
- Noise and Other Physical Agents in the Environment
- Health Effects of Indoor and Outdoor Air Pollution
- International Health
- Environmental and Occupational Health Law And Policy
- The Global Environment and Public Health
- Foundations of Leadership
- Communicating with the Media