Health Finance and Management
- Sponsoring department
- Educational Objectives
- The goal of this certificate program is to faciliate the development of knowledge and skills in the areas of management, finance and leadership within healthcare. The primary focus of the program is the U.S. health system.
- Intended Audience
The intended audience includes current degree students in the Bloomberg School of Public Health who are interested in health management and finance issues. Non-degree students who want to focus exclusively on current topics in health services management and finance are also welcome to apply for the certificate program. MPH students may enroll in either the Management and Leadership concentration or the certificate program, not both.
- Admissions Criteria
Current students must apply for the certificate no later than two terms prior to their expected certificate completion date. Certificate applications may be obtained from the Health Finance and Management Program Office. The completed application form must be submitted to the Program Office (Hampton House 3rd floor) no later than two terms before the expected completion date.
Non-degree students (special students) who want to take the certificate program are required to submit an application through the admissions office. An undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university is required for admission. Applicants apply for special student regular status, in the Department of Health Policy and Management, and select Health Finance and Management as the "track/division". Applicants must provide copies of their undergraduate transcripts and a statement of purpose. The application will be reviewed by a committee of faculty who will determine the admissions decision.
Course of Study
- 551.601 Managing Health Services Organizations
- 551.603 Fundamentals of Budgeting and Financial Management
Approved Elective Courses
- 300.651 Introduction to the US Healthcare System
- 305.607 Public Health Practice
- 309.620 Managed Care and Health Insurance
- 312.617 Fundamentals of Financial Accounting
- 312.621 Strategic Planning
- 312.623 Financial Management in Healthcare
- 312.624 Financial Management in Healthcare II
- 312.633 Health Management Information Systems
- 312.635 Human Resources in Health Organizations
- 312.660 Marketing in Health Care Organizations
- 312.664 Interest Based Negotiation: Preparation, Analysis and Practice
- 312.665 Conflict Management Skills Training
- 312.666 Creating Agreement and Managing Conflict in a Health Care Setting: Advanced Skill Development
- 313.790 Economic Evaluation I
- 551.602 Approaches to Managing Health Services Organizations: Cases & Applications (pass/fail course)
- 551.604 Quantitative Tools for Managers
- 551.605 Case Studies in Management and Decision Making
- 551.608 Managing Non-Governmental Organizations in the Health Sector
- 551.610 Foundations of Leadership
Requirements for Successful Completion
A minimum of 18 credits is required for certification. All courses must be taken for letter grade (except for 551.602, Approaches to MHSO, which is pass/fail only), and a 3.0 grade point average is required for certification. Requirements must be completed within a three-year period.