Examples of MPH Capstone Topics and Papers
Meet our students
-Tracy Rudne Hawry
Capstone project papers submitted by Bloomberg School students from previous years are listed below to demonstrate the breadth of topics and formats that may be explored. In addition, hard copy binders are on reserve in the MPH program office (Room W1015).
Capstone Symposia Programs
The following links are copies of the programs from MPH capstone symposia held here at the Bloomberg School in recent years.
- MPH Capstone Symposium Program 2013
- MPH Capstone Symposium Program 2012
- MPH Capstone Symposium Program 2011
- MPH Capstone Symposium Program 2010
- MPH Capstone Symposium Program 2009
- MPH Capstone Symposium Program 2008
- MPH Capstone Symposium Program 2007
- MPH Capstone Symposium Program 2006
- MPH Capstone Symposium Program 2005
- MPH Capstone Symposium Program 2004
MPH Capstone Award Recipients: May 2013
- "Trends in Mortality and Age: A Comparison of Open Versus Endovascular Repair of Abdominal Aortic Anueryms in the ACS NISQUIP Data” (Research Report)
- "Colonization of Pets with Staphylococci in Homes of People with Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) Skin or Soft Tissue Infection (SSTI)” (Research Report)
- “REVERSE TRIAGE IN PEDIATRICS: A New Method to Increase In-Hospital Surge Capacity” (Research Report)
- "Finding & Explaining Fast & Slow Mortality Transitions: A Taxonomy of Preston Curves using Latent Growth Curve Analysis” ((Research Report)
- "Prevention of CIPN from FOLFOX Regimen in Patients with Metastatic CRC by Oral Supplementation of L-glutamine” (Research Proposal)
- “Grading Quality for Information and Synthesis of mHealth Evidence” (Systematic Review and Methods Development)
- “Trends and Risk Factors for Viraemia during Early Antiretroviral Therapy in the Khayelisha Antiretroviral Therapy Cohort” (Research Report)
- “Strategic Framework for Infant Mortality Reduction in Abu Dhabi – Public Health Problem Analysis and Program Plan”
- “Unlocking the Epidemic Potential of Zoonotic Hepatitis E Virus in Southeast Asia” (Research Report)
- “The Effects of Climate Change on Food Production: Implications for Food Security” (Literature Review)
- “Strategies for the Discovery of Novel Anti-Infective Agents” (Research Proposal)
- “Pricing Interventions in Open Versus Closed-Community Settings to Increase Access to Healthy Foods: A Review of the Literature”
MPH Capstone Award Recipients: May 2012
- "Clinical Integration in a Community Healthcare System" (Literature Review and Proposal)
- "Relationship between Self-reported Functional Impairment and Mental Healthcare Utilization in OEF/OIF Veterans" (Research Report)
- "Impact of the Access Partnership on Emergency and Inpatient Healthcare Utilization" (Program Evaluation)
- "A Lay Training Program in Basic Emergency Care and Danger Sign Recognition in Rukungiri District, Uganda: Recommendations for Global Emergency Care Collaborative's Pre-hospital Emergency Resources Project" (Program Plan)
- "The Influence of Maternal Factors on Early Childhood Obesity" (Research Report)
- "Characterization of Companion Animal & Environmental Sampling Methods for Recovery of MRSA in a Household Survey" (Research Report)
- "Strengthening SNAP Vendor Standards: Putting Healthier Foods Within Reach?" (Policy Analysis)
- "Tuberculosis Vaccine Project: Epidemiologic Assessment and Action Plan" (Literature Review)
- "Nasopharyngeal Carriage and Transmission of Streptococcus Pneumoniae in Native American Households after a Decade of Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine Use" (Research Report)
- "Maternal, Household, and Infant Determinants of Vaccination Coverage among Infants in Rural Bangladesh" (Research Report)
- "Enhancing the Public Knowledge and Reporting of Emerging Infections using Popular Social Media" (Program Plan)
MPH Capstone Award Recipients: May 2011
- "Incidence of Risk Factors for the Outcomes of Zoster in an HIV Infected Population" (Research Report)
- "Pertussis in California 2005-2010: Epidemiology and Geographic Distribution of Cases and Personal Belieft Exemptions" (Research Report)
- "Determinants of Women's Participation in a Cervical Cancer Screening Program in a Periurban Area in Andhra Pradesh, India" (Research Proposal)
- "An Analysis of Direct Potable Water Reuse Acceptance in the United States: Obstacles and Opportunities" (Public Health Problem Analysis & Recommendations)
- "The Incidence and Risk Factors Associated with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder among Active Duty U.S. Military Personnel between 1999 and 2008" (Research Report)
- "Early Detection of Malaria Foci for Targeted Interventions in Endemic Southern Zambia" (Program Evaluation)
- "An Analysis of State-based Health Insurance Exchange Proposals after the Passage of the Affordable Care Act" (Policy Analysis)
- "When Displacement Ends: Using the Framework of Durable Solutions to Identify Modifiable Risk Factors for Improved Outcomes after Displacement and Disaster" (Research Report)
- "How Did it Happen? Examining U.S. State Bans of Smoking in Cars with Children using Key Informant Interviews" (Research Report)
- "Farmers Markets as a Healthy Food Access Strategy: Assessing Baltimore's Farmers Markets and Proposing Recommendations to Increase Access" (Program Evaluation)
- "Salt Iodization in Haiti: Challenges to Improving Salt Production Quality and Recommendations for Pursuing Iodization" (Research Report)
- To see examples of some of the PowerPoint presentations from the 2011 Capstone Award recipients, visit the OpenCourseware Capstone Honors webpage.
MPH Capstone Award Recipients: May 2010
- "Descriptive Epidemiology and Observations of an Outbreak of Influenza-Like Illness on a University Campus"
- "Prescribing Changes Following Revised Treatment Guidelines for Gonorrhea" (Research Report)
- "The Impact of Guided Care on Health Disparities: A Preliminary Report"
- "Extrinsic Factors Affecting Health Worker Motivation in the Context of Task Shifting: Experiences of VCT Counselors in Ethiopia" (Qualitative Data Research Report)
- " 'Treat them with Love' Empowerment of Community Health Workers as Agents of Change" (Qualitative Data Research Report)
- "Active Surveillance in Low-Risk Prostate Cancer: A Clinical Decision Analysis"
- "Tobacco Craving and Dependence in People with Schizophrenia compared to Normal Controls"
- "Associations between Cancer History and Sleep Related Variables in Long-term Cancer Survivors" (Research Report)
- "Determinants of U.S. Parental Attitudes and Behavior towards Preventing Cancer in Young Girls through Vaccine: Analysis of a National Survey on Human Papillomavirus Vaccine Use"
- "Zoning for Obesity? A Comparison of U.S. Zoning Changes Targeting Obesity to Epidemiologic
- Evidence in the Public Health Literature"
- To see examples of some of the PowerPoint presentations from the 2010 Capstone Award recipients, visit the OpenCourseware Capstone Honors webpage.
Master of Public Health Capstone Award Recipients: May 2009
- "Secondhand Tobacco Smoke: A Source of Lead Exposure in U.S. Children"
- "The Effect of Dietary Patterns on Estimated Coronary Heart Disease Risk: Results from the DASH Trial"
- "Cumulative Risk for a False-Positive Test Using Chest X-Ray or Low-Dose Computed Tomography in Lung Cancer Screening"
- "Use of Pictorial Medication Labeling System to Improve Comprehension of Drug Information: A Randomized Trial among Pregnant Women in a Rural Maternal & Child Health Clinic in Kutch, India" (Research Report)
- "A Comparative Analysis of Pediatric Resident Performance during High-fidelity Simulated Cardiopulmonary Arrests" (Research Report)
- "Biosolids in Baltimore: The Ethical Implications of Uncertainty"
- "Maiti Nepal: Programmatic Strategic Plan to Combat Human Trafficking 2010-2015"
- "Improving End-of-Life Care: A Public Health Call to Action" (Program Evaluation)
- "Analysis of Interventions to Reduce the HIV Risk Behaviors of African American Female Adolescents: Where Do We Go From Here?"
- "Infant Feeding Counseling and Infant Feeding Practices at Early Infant Diagnosis of HIV-1 in Zimbabwe: A Research Proposal"
- "An Evaluation of the Impact of a Radio Diaries Program on HIV-related Stigma and HIV Testing in Ethiopia" (Research Report)
- "Baltimore City Emergency Response Plan for Radiological Incidents"
- To see examples of some of the PowerPoint presentations from the 2009 Capstone Award recipients, visit the OpenCourseware Capstone Honors webpage.
Master of Public Health Capstone Award Recipients: May 2008
- "A Proposal for Private-Public Collaboration during a Smallpox Outbreak"
- "Reducing Maternal Mortality One District at a Time -- A District Level Analysis of the Utilization of Skilled Birth Attendants in Four Districts of Bihar" (Research Report)
- "Perspectives of Future Physicians on Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness: Challenges of Building a Capable and Sustainable Medical Workforce"
- "Bringing Uninsured Children into Medicaid and SCHIP: A Comparison of Enrollment and Reenrollment in Two States" (Literature Review / Policy Analysis)
- "Evaluating the Impact of a Nutrition Education Program in Baltimore City Schools" (Qualitative Data Research Report)
- "Clarifying the Outcomes of Family Involvement Interventions: An Evaluative Research Proposal" (Research Proposal)
- "Leaded in Idaho"
- "Health Assessment and Health Care Access among Internally Displaced Persons in Mississippi Travel Trailor Parks Two Years after the 2005 Gulf Coast Hurricane Season"
- "Cost-effectiveness of Misoprostol and Prenatal Iron Supplementation as Maternal Mortality Interventions in Rural India"
- "The Effectiveness and Sustainability of a Low-cost Water Filter in Removing Pathogens during Long-term Household Use"
- To see examples of some of the PowerPoint presentations from the 2008 Capstone Award recipients, visit the OpenCourseware Capstone Honors webpage.
Master of Public Health Capstone Award Recipients: May 2007
- Special honors were given to 10 students with the best overall capstone written projects.
- "Evaluation of the Effects of a New Interpretation Program at a Public Health Clinic 2005-2006"
- "Parental Age and Maternal Antibodies to Fetal Brain in Autism"
- "Countering Prevailing Trends in Violation of Women's Rights to Life and Health: An Analysis of Nicaragua's Complete Abortion Ban"
- "Model Comparing Outcomes in Cost -- Effectiveness and Tuberculosis Prevalence for Active and Passive Disease Surveillance in Peru"
- "A Proposal to Implement a Joint Collaboration at Johns Hopkins between the Women's Mood Disorder Center and the Harriet Lane Clinic to Provide Screening and Treatment for New Mothers with Postpartum Depression"
- "Risk Factors for Birth Asphyxia Mortality in a Community-based Setting in Southern Nepal"
- "Investing in Health: Shifting the Health Care Paradigm"
- "The Impact of Pulsatile Perfusion Preservation on Clinical Outcomes in Kidney Transplantation"
- "Assessing Women's Preferences for Cervical Cancer Screening: An Application of Conjoint Analysis"
- "Young Maternal Age and the Risk of Neonatal Mortality in Rural Nepal"
Master of Public Health Capstone Award Recipients: May 2006
- "Pathway to Preparedness: A Social Marketing Strategy for Disaster Preparedness in 5 Counties in the State of Maryland"
- "A Review of World Bank Projects Addressing Maternal and Child Under Nutrition in High-Burden Countries"
- "Need for Regular Functional Testing of Portable Gas Detection Equipment -- Evaluation of Field Failure Rates and Interventions in Japan"
- "The Effect of Race and Ethnicity on Infant Feeding Practices at 2-4 Months of Age"
- "Quantitation of Social Variables in Epidemics: A Computational Modeling Approach"
- "Medicare Physicians' Services Payment Policy Reform: A Case Study of Diagnostic Imaging"
- "Environmental Factors Related to Leptospirosis Outbreaks"
- "HIV/STD Risks and the Influence of Alcohol Use Among Young Methamphetamine Users in Northern Thailand"
- "We Talk of AIDS Because We Love Life": A Stakeholder Assessment Using Qualitative Interviews of HIV Prevention Institutions in Buenos Aires, Argentina"
- "In Vivo Monitoring by MRI Imaging of the Accumulation of Welding Fume-associated Manganese within the Central Nervous System using a Murine Model"
Master of Public Health Capstone Award Recipients: May 2005
- "Assessing the Oral Health Needs of Children at the Harriet Lane Clinic, JHH Using a Parental Survey: A Needs Assessment"
- "Catastrophic Outcomes Associated with Clostridium Difficile Colitis"
- "Report on Findings from the Wildland Fire Fighter Tobacco Use Study"
- "Neighborhood Characteristics Are Associated with Cardiovascular Disease in Older Adults: Evidence from the Baltimore Memory Study, USA"
- "The Impact of Illicit Drug Use and Substance Abuse Treatment on Adherence to Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy"
- "A Retrospective Cohort Study to Assess and Compare the Risk of Incident Diabetes Mellitus and Hyperlipidemia in Risperidone - and Olanzapine-treated Long-term Inpatients of a State Psychiatric Hospital"
- "Children Born from Rape: Overlooked Victims of Human Rights Violations in Conflict Settings"
- "Poverty and Skilled Attendance at Delivery: A Study of Six Developing Countries"
- "Sexual Behavior among Nigerian Youth"
- "Microbiological Inhalation Hazard at Open-Air Swine Facilities in American Samoa"
Master of Public Health Capstone Award Recipients: May 2004
- "Interpregnancy Interval and the Risk of Maternal Night Blindness in Rural Nepal"
- "Prevalence of Gallbladder Disease Among Persons with Hepatitis C Virus Infection in the U.S."
- "Development, Vehicles and Road Traffic Injuries: A Case Study and Review of Literature from India"
- "The Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) Outbreak in Ontario: Comparison of the Two Phases"
- "Colorectal Cancer Screening Compliance in Maryland"
- "Childhood Diarrhea in Cameroon: Risk Factors and Health-Seeking Behaviors"
- "Use of Hematological Markers to Predict Morbidity and Mortality Among HIV Infected African Infants"
- "Risk Factors for BK Virus Nephropathy in Renal Transplant Recipients -- The Role of Ureteral Trauma"
- "Journey After Darkness, A Study of Goma, Zaire in 1994: Cholera and Clean Water"
- "An Innovative Curriculum Teaching the Integration of Communication and Clinical Reasoning Skills to Medical Students"
Master of Public Health Capstone Award Recipients: May 2003
- "Does Presence of a Mental Disorder in AIDS Patients Affect the Initiation of Antiretroviral Treatment (HAART) and Duration of Therapy?"
- "Intimate Partner Violence, Substance Abuse & HIV: Taking a Closer Look"
- "The Epidemiology of Ocular Trauma in Rural Nepal"
- "FDA Pediatric Drug Policy: Characteristics of Drugs Granted Exclusivity"
- "Reforming the Oral Health Sector in Uganda: A Primary Health Care Approach"
- "Trends and Differentials in Adolescent Sexual Behaviors in Rakai, Uganda, 1994-2002"
- "Health Care Facilities in the City of Guayaquil: Can Open Access Reduce Travel Distance?"
- "Racial Disparities in Reporting and Receipt of Immediate Breast Reconstruction in Maryland"
- "Evidential Strength of Medical Specialties: A Comparative Analysis"
- "Injuries in Unrestrained Pediatric Patients in the Texas Panhandle"
Some Examples of Topics of Capstone Projects from Previous Years
- "Public Health Response to a Bioterrorist Attack Involving Smallpox"
- "Outcomes of a Comprehensive, Community-based, Family-oriented Substance Abuse Treatment Program: An Evaluation of the Asset Program in East Baltimore"
- "Evaluation Proposal for a Workplace Domestic Violence Awareness Program"
- "Expanding the Use of a Cross-Cultural Assessment of Trauma-Related Mental Illness: A Proposal for Afghan Women Refugees"
- "The Persistence of High Malaria Morbidity in Under-5 Children in the West Province of Cameroon"
- "Synergistic Biological Effects of Endotoxin and Traffic-related Air Pollution"
- "Cost-effectiveness of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 Testing and Treatment as an HIV/AIDS Intervention"
- "Environmental Refugees and Human Rights"
- "Reducing Bloodstream Infections due to Central Venous Catheters"
- "Investigation of an Outbreak of Hepatitis B among Injecting Drug Users"
- "NHANES III Pesticide Data Informs Cape Cod Breast Cancer Study"
- "The Use of a Cross-Cultural Assessment of Trauma-Related Mental Illness"
- "Ethical Frameworks to Develop Public Health Interventions in Internet Chat Rooms"
- "Determinants of Hepatitis B Vaccination"
- "Northeast Cambodia Child Survival Program"
- "Smoking Prevention in Adolescent Girls in Maryland"
- "Public Health Effects of Direct to Consumer Pharmaceutical Marketing"
- "Effect of Refugees on Their Host Populations Health Status"
- "Connecting the DOTS: From TB Service Providers to Patients"