Registration, Credits, Tuition, Fees and Cancellation Policies
Registration opens for the 2015-2016 Winter Institute on Thursday, October 8, 2015 . The registration deadline is Friday December 4, 2015.
JHSPH Degree Students
- Students enrolled in JHSPH degree and certificate programs can register online via ISIS Self-Service.
- Degree-seeking students and certificate students registering after the deadline must use the late registration form.
Non-degree Students and Non-credit Students
- New Institute Participants: If you are not enrolled in a degree program at JHSPH and have not previously taken a course at JHSPH, please follow the registration instructions for new students found on the Continuing Education Student Service website.
- Continuing/Returning, Non-degree Students: Continuing Special Students Limited (SSL's) who have previously enrolled in credit courses at the Bloomberg School are able to register for Institute courses by logging into ISIS using their JHED-ID and password. If you wish to register for Institute Courses not for credit, please visit the Non-Degree Application page.
- Individuals who are not enrolled in a degree or certificate program at the Bloomberg School should be aware that there is a limit of 16 credits that may be taken as Special Students Limited.
- Students enrolled in other JHU degree programs outside JHSPH should be aware that interdivisional registrations are not permitted for the Winter Institute.
Academic Credit, Not-for-Credit, Pass/Fail
Students wishing to take courses in the Winter Institute must decide the format in which they wish to take the courses:
- For Academic Credit: Tuition for courses taken for academic credit is charged by the credit unit according to the School's tuition and fees structure. Students taking courses for academic credit may choose whether they wish to take the courses for a letter grade or pass/fail.
- Not-for-credit: Individuals may elect to take courses not-for-credit, recognizing that they will not receive a grade for courses taken and that the course work will not be reflected on a JHSPH transcript. Individuals taking Institute courses not-for-credit are not required to participate in class assignments or exams, as they will not receive a grade. Please note that certificates of participation are not distributed in all courses. Students who wish to take courses not-for-credit should verify whether the course will provide a certificate of participation.
Please refer to the course descriptions for the credit value of each course. Courses taken not-for-credit may not be retroactively converted to academic credit after the add/drop period.
Students may add, drop, or make changes to a grade system for a course as per the following schedule. A course can neither be added nor the grade system changed after the stated deadlines. Any drops will be processed as withdrawals and there will be no tuition refund.
|Course Duration||Add/Drop Deadline|
|1-3 day courses|
Prior to first class
Add/drop from 7am to 12pm on the first day of class only
|4-5 day courses|
Prior to the second class
Add/drop from 7am to 11:59pm
|6-9 day courses|
Prior to third class
Add/drop during the first two days of classes from 7am to 11:59pm
|10-14 day courses|
Prior to the fourth class
Add/drop during the first three days of classes from 7am to 11:59pm
Degree seeking students and certificate students may add or drop courses during the add/drop period via ISIS Self Service.
Special Students Limited must use the add/drop form that is available in the Student Affairs Office (E1002) or that can be downloaded online by clicking here.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for the 2015-2016 Winter Institute is $1,020 per credit for academic credit and $510 per credit for non-credit.
As mentioned, the deadline for application is Friday, December 4, 2015. All applicants who register after this date will be charged a $100 late registration fee.
Special students and non-credit students must pay in full at the time of registration. Statements for Winter Institute tuition for newly admitted MPH and continuing students will be posted electronically and available to view in ISIS on January 13, 2016.
Payment for Winter Institute courses is due on January 23, 2016. Financial assistance is not available for the 2016 Winter Institute. Full-time students in JHSPH academic degree programs must pay for enrollments in Institute courses separately, and in addition to their full-time tuition. Tuition rates are displayed on the JHSPH tuition and fees page; full-time students enrolling in 11 or fewer credits will pay per credit; students enrolling in 12 or more credits will pay a flat rate.
Registrants financed by agencies such as the World Health Organization or the U.S. Federal Government must submit purchase orders or contract documents with their application. Employees of Johns Hopkins University who wish to use tuition remission should visit the Tuition Remission section of the JHU Benefits site for appropriate application forms. The Johns Hopkins tuition remission does not cover the cost of books/materials.
The Winter Institute reserves the right to cancel a course due to low enrollment, in which event the full enrollment fee for the course will be refunded.