Skip Navigation

Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Home

Financial Assistance

Fellowships, Scholarships, and Traineeships
Federal Student Loans and Work-Study
Veterans' Benefits
Foreign Students
Endowed Student Support Funds
External Funding Opportunities - Student Funding Resources

The Office of Student Financial Services administers all educational student loan programs plus the Federal Work-Study program at the School. In addition to determining a student's eligibility for loan assistance and work-study, the Office of Student Financial Services provides personal and confidential financial counseling to all aid applicants. It is important for prospective students to note that the decision to offer or deny financial aid is totally separate from the decision to offer or deny admission.

Eligibility for financial assistance is based on a combination of factors such as financial need, merit, and availability of funds. For need-based loans and work-study, financial need is determined by using a standardized formula, established by the U.S. Congress, which calculates an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) for the student. The EFC amount is used to compute a student's eligibility for federal student financial assistance.

To receive federal student aid, an applicant must:

  1. Be officially accepted as a regular student.
  2. Be registered for the appropriate credit hours per term.
  3. Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  4. Be a citizen or eligible non citizen of the States with a valid Social Security Number.

A change in the student's enrollment status, funding, or financial situation may affect his or her eligibility to receive or retain financial aid.

Financial aid regulations stipulate that an aid recipient must maintain satisfactory academic progress (see Administrative Regulations). Failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress may result in the cancellation of a student's eligibility to receive additional financial aid.

When a student withdraws within an academic term, the student's eligibility to retain financial aid will be recalculated to cover the enrollment period for which the student did maintain eligibility.

Each department at the school administers their own academic scholarship program. Therefore, students should contact the department of their major interest and request specific information about departmental scholarship opportunities.

Fellowships, Scholarships, and Traineeships

General Information and Method of Application

A variety of fellowships, scholarships, and traineeships are funded by the federal government, the private sector, and the School of Public Health. Fellowship or traineeship support from the Public Health Service and other agencies of the U.S. government is usually limited by law to citizens and permanent residents of the United States. This support may be for specific or general areas of study. Departmental scholarship aid is awarded by the departmental chairperson; requests for scholarship aid should be submitted directly to the appropriate academic department. Master of Public Health (M.P.H.) scholarships are awarded by the M.P.H. program office. U.S. citizens and permanent residents who apply to the M.P.H. program are automatically considered for this aid.

Public Health Traineeship Grant

These traineeships (tuition and/or stipend) are for members of the health professions who are entering or improving their effectiveness in a public health career. All degree-seeking full-time registered students are considered automatically for funding under this program.

Departmental Scholarships

Many departments offer financial support, which includes stipends, field travel allowances, tuition, and fees to qualified students. The amount and type of this assistance varies and for specific departments is only available to certain students for tuition support only. For additional information about departmental funding, (non-M.P.H.) candidates should contact the chairperson of the department to which they intend to apply.

Master's Tuition Scholarships (MTS) for Master of Science and Master of Health Science Candidates.

Master's Tuition Scholarships worth up to 75% of the School's tuition are available to ELIGIBLE ScM and MHS students following the successful completion of 64 academic credits. A scholarship award of less than 75% of tuition will be made when some other form of tuition support is available to the student. Receipt of an MTS is limited to four (4) academic terms. Candidates for the MTS are recommended by their departments. For eligibility criteria, students should contact their departments or the Student Financial Services Office.

Graduate Fellowship for Nurse-Midwives

The Graduate Fellowship for Nurse-Midwives in Population and Family Health Sciences provides an opportunity for a nurse-midwife to train at the doctoral level in preparation for a professional role in research, education, and service. In establishing this fellowship, the Department of Population and Family Health Sciences continues its historical association with midwifery education at the graduate level and reemphasizes the important role nurse-midwifery has to play in maternal and child health.

Governmental Fellowships and Research

Pre-doctoral and Dissertation Fellowships The National Institutes of Health, the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and the Ford Foundation support programs for pre-doctoral graduate study in research-based doctoral programs in basic and/or applied disciplines. Deadlines for application are generally in early fall. Inquiries should be directed to the Office of Extramural Student Support, room E1148.

Postdoctoral and Special Fellowships These fellowships are awarded on an individual basis directly to candidates in health-related sciences from various governmental and private sector agencies. Information and application materials for NIH fellowships may be obtained from the Office of Grants Information, Center for Scientific Review, National Institutes of Health, Suite 3034, 6701 Rockledge Drive MSC 7762, Bethesda, MD 20892-7762.

State Aid Generally, state aid comes from the student's state of legal residence. Students should contact their state student aid agency for information about grant and scholarship assistance.

Research Awards

Opportunities for support from various research sources are usually available within most departments. For further information, candidates should contact the person of the department to which they intend to apply.

Federal Student Loans and Federal Work-Study

General Information and Method of Application

A student must have a complete financial aid file in order to receive consideration for educational loans and work-study. Financial aid application packets may be obtained from the Office of Student Financial Services. For priority consideration, applications should be submitted by April 15.

Student Loans

To be eligible to receive a federal student loan, a student must be enrolled in a degree program on at least a half-time basis; be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen; be maintaining satisfactory academic progress; not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal educational loan; be registered with the Selective Service (if required); and have a valid social security number. Persons who are in this country on a student or visitor visa are not eligible for federal student loans.

1. Federal Direct Student Loans Federal Direct Loans allow students to borrow money from the federal government to pay for educational expenses. Under the Direct Loan Program, the U.S. Department of Education makes loans, through schools, directly to students. Direct Loans simplify the loan application process and eliminate the need for an outside lender, such as a bank or credit union.

Direct Loans are either subsidized or unsubsidized.

A. Federal Direct Subsidized Loans A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. The federal government will pay the interest on the loan while the student is in school and during specified deferment periods.

B. Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need. The student will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full.

The interest rate for Direct Loans is variable, that is, the rate is adjusted each year. The maximum rate for a Direct Loan is 8.25%. All Direct Loan borrowers are charged an origination fee of 3%. Upon entering repayment, the borrower will always make payments to the same Direct Loan servicer. Direct Loans will not be resold.

2. Federal Perkins Loan A Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5%) loan for students with exceptional financial need. The school is the lender and the loan is made with government funds.

OTHER LOAN FUNDS Several alternative educational loan programs are offered by private lending institutions. These loans are credit-based loans not subject to the Federal Need Analysis Methodology and may be used to supplement other forms of financial assistance.

Federal Work-Study Program

The purpose of the Federal Work-Study Program is to stimulate and promote the part-time employment of students who are in need of these earnings to meet the cost of postsecondary education. Also, this program encourages eligible students to participate in community service activities that will benefit the nation and engender in the students a sense of social responsibility.. A student's earnings during an academic year are limited by the student's demonstrated financial need and the availability of program funds. Federal Work-Study is awarded on a first come basis.

Veteran's Benefits

The university (serving as a liaison to the Veterans Administration) makes provisions for individuals who wish to continue their education under the laws pertaining to veterans' educational benefits. Students may apply to the Veterans Administration for a Certificate of Eligibility for education benefits after being accepted by one of the divisions of the university. This certificate should be presented to the certifying official in the Office of Student Financial Services. Students must state the same educational objective in making application both to the university and to the Veterans Administration. Students are required to pay the usual fees to the university at the time of registration, and the Veterans Administration reimburses the individuals if academic progress is satisfactory. Additional information regarding the basis for reimbursement may be obtained from the Office of Student Financial Services.

Foreign Students

Financial Certification

Applicants for admission from other countries should arrange for their funding as soon as they apply for admission. Students typically are informed of the scholarship awards from the school at the time of admission. If you have not been formally awarded a departmental scholarship prior to enrolling, it is unlikely that you will receive a scholarship from the School. The university has no mechanism for tuition waivers.

Foreign students using their own source of support should be prepared to show clear documentation as to how they will support themselves for tuition and living expenses during their entire program. The school must receive official certification from the sponsor of the source and amount of financial support (tuition and living expenses) before the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 form or IAP-66 form) needed to obtain a visa can be issued to an accepted international student. Those candidates intending to support themselves from personal funds must provide a letter from a bank in the United States indicating that sufficient funds are on deposit to cover tuition and living expenses for the first year of the program.

Financial Assistance

Financial assistance for international students who are not permanent residents of the United States is extremely limited. Most international students coming to the school are supported by their governments or other voluntary health organizations. International students should contact the department to which they intend to apply for information regarding their eligibility for scholarship assistance.

Endowed Student Support Funds

These funds annually recognize students for their outstanding contributions and potential in the field of public health.  For a complete list of funds and details about application procedures, visit the Student Funding Resources website at

Student Financial Services Home

Student Affairs Home